Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasted - a sober jorney through drunken Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Yep, read it late last year but I've forgotten nearly everything about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr Kipling

I found it a very worthwhile book, apart from the last chapter which tailed off completely in political talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

i browsed through it and thought it's quite an interesting book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Cheers lads I just ordered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bought it yesterday. 2 chapters in now and enjoying it. he's very honest about his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I read this book. I thought it was a great read. Some interesting quotes from Des Bishop and John Leahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yoshimi1983

I read that. It was interesting. i particularly was interested in Des Bishop's assertion that we are socially and culturally wounded from our colonial past and this partially accounts for the nations booze cruise. I would like to see that idea fleshed out more systematically...does anyone know any academics or social theorists who may written on this.

He's dead right thoough about the lack of political will. I worked in the area of illegal drugs, and I have to laugh when people get hysterical about drugs, I never met a hard core drug addict who didn't seriously abuse alochol first.

I'm just after reading the first four chapters before getting out of bed today ( I was working until 8am :p ).

It's very interesting to say the least, and while lots of the content so far was not unknown to me it is good to hear it from someone else, and to hear how giving up the sauce has changed people's lives for the better.

It's very easy to read and well worthwhile. I'll report back again when I've read the rest of it.

Just finished this book this afternoon. It did get very political towards the end but I think it went well with the theme of the book to be honest. I was very interested in the Night Hawk's in Denmark - a great idea!

Advertisement