Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pargyline

Options
  • 06-02-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I would very much appreciate If someone could explain the pharmacology of Pargyline to me.
    My neurochemistry lecturer mentioned it very briefly at the end of one of his lectures. Just mentioned that it was an anti-hypertensive and MAO inhibitor.
    Anyway, I went off to do a bit of research (google/rang and dale really) and I couldnt find anything.
    From my understanding, a drug that inhibits MAO may only lead to hypertension, not relieve it.
    I emailed the lecturer but no reply.
    What am I missing out on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

If anyone is interested I finally found a bit of info in Rang and Dale.
    It's in the "Antidepressant Drugs" chapter.

"Pargyline was at one time used as an antihypertensive drug. One possible explanation for this effect - the opposite of what might have been expected - is that amines such as dopamine or octopamine accumulate within peripheral sympathetic nerve terminals and displace noradrenaline from the storage vesicles, thus reducing noradrenaline release associated with sympathetic activity."

Well there ya go, that was wrecking my head for ages. Pretty happy I came across that.
    Still no word from my lecturer though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

glad you found out more about it, do you know about www.accessmedicine.com ? its pretty helpful with stuff like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Hi imported_guy.
    No, I havent heard of that website. Just had a quick peek at it there. Is it worth the subscription fee?
    Is there an area where I can ask questions like the Pargyline one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Hi imported_guy.
    No, I havent heard of that website. Just had a quick peek at it there. Is it worth the subscription fee?
    Is there an area where I can ask questions like the Pargyline one?

its like wikipedia, except the sources etc of information are straight from books, its like having all the books from the recomended list but you dont have to flip 100 pages just to find out the word you are looking for isnt in that book and you have to open up another one, saves alot of time, heres a review by USC (university of southern california) http://www.usc.edu/e_resources/hsl/gateways/7965.php im not gona plug it but i will say it saves alot of time and is VERY handy

apparently alot of medschools in america pay for the subscription for their students, so its not bad having it if you can afford it ithink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cuel-L8GYA video shows how to use it, its a tutorial from some medschool in america i think

Advertisement