Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 - Is my processor 64-bit?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 2:55pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be in the hardware forum but I bought Windows 7 Home Premium (32 and 64 bit discs included).
    I had Vista 32-bit and did the Upgrade Advisor first.
    It informed me that my processor was 64-bit capable.

However, I tried to install Win7 64 on this (cleaned the hard disk, installed over existing Vista) but it kept restarting the install process at a certain stage (got to the "Completing Installation" step but no further).
    I figured that the machine wasn't 64-bit after all and managed to install 32-bit fine (which I'm now on).

However, I've checked the device again and my processor (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz) is still classified as being 64-bit capable.

My question is would it be wrongly be classifying my processor as 64-bit (but just two 32-bit cores) or would something else be preventing me installing the 64-bit version of windows?

Any help / guidance / links would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

IIRC there is no direct upgrade path from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit and that's most likely the reason why it didn't work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's correct. They do not support upgrading from 32 to 64, you need to do a clean install.

Fair enough, I'll give that a try, thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Well your processor might be 64-bit compatible, but the rest of the computer may not be.
    I'm not sure how to check every component can work on a 64-bit system, or has 64-bit drivers to download from the web. They are not all available from my experience.

Advertisement