Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Beatports genres???

Options
  • 06-02-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭

I would have considered myself a prog fan, and by prog I mean my favourite dj's (well, whose sets I tend to listen to) would be Desyn Masiello, Danny Howells, Sasha Le Monnier, Guy J, Spooky.......stuff like that.

But when I was trawling through music this morning on Beatports 'prog genre' I found that 98+% of the tracks were frikkin ****e. Now, either the vast majority of prog is rubbish or my genre compass is banjoed?????.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

and that's the reason prog is not worth trawling through anymore. the sh1t/good ratio is fcuked thanks to an endless sea of horrific (mainly american strangely enough) labels on beatport.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Yeah man i'm a big Guy J fan aswell and therefore used to think that I like prog house, but then after listening to alot tracks marked prog on beatport i kinda realised I didn't. Thats not to say theres not a few goods tracks.

I seen a Guy J chart on beatport not to long ago and that was even mostly Tech house and Techno. I think your better off branching out to those two and every now and agqin you'll find a decent prog track hanging around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Yeah man i'm a big Guy J fan aswell and therefore used to think that I like prog house, but then after listening to alot tracks marked prog on beatport i kinda realised I didn't. Thats not to say theres not a few goods tracks.

I seen a Guy J chart on beatport not to long ago and that was even mostly Tech house and Techno. I think your better off branching out to those two and every now and agqin you'll find a decent prog track hanging around somewhere.

I know I defo like prog, the problem is that most of it is absolute cack these days. The golden age for me was about the late 90's early 00's when Sasha was on fire. You had class acts like Breeder and amazing tunes like Humate's Love Stimulation, Sander Klienenberg's My Lexicon - stuff like that. You just don't seem to get that quality anymore.

I find all the tunes I'm drawn to at the moment are tech house, deep house, techno and house..........but I really do miss good old fashioned prog!

BTW, here's a good Guy J set if ya haven't heard it already - it's his June 09 promo set

http://www.filestube.com/1eb9ff34de0a932303ea/go.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

jtsuited wrote: »
    and that's the reason prog is not worth trawling through anymore. the sh1t/good ratio is fcuked thanks to an endless sea of horrific (mainly american strangely enough) labels on beatport.

After spending all afternoon sifting through I really have to agree with you. I actually can't get over how much crap is released as prog. All those hours and I think I found 2 tracks. Bar a few artists I've favourited I'll be giving prog a swerve from now on.

Really digging your MonChiChi track btw.....top stuff

Advertisement