Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access point into hub?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a three storey house and the only telephone point is downstairs. Therefore, my modem/wireless router is there, but coverage is quite low on the third floor.

The house is wired for smarthomes, so there is a patch panel and data points in every room.

Is there some sort of device I can get that I could connect to the "Broadband" port of the smarthomes patch panel. That way I could use the data points in all the rooms instead of wireless.

Running cable between the modem and the patch panel isn't an option as it would be quite awkward and messy to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

I had a similar problem a year or so ago, only phone line downstairs, but all my kit upstairs in the box room. I had an Linksys WRT54GS wireless router that I upgraded to the DD-WRT firmware. With that I was able to configure the Linksys to be a wireless client of the Eircom box down stairs. The Linksys was then bridging the network across it's wireless to it 4 ethernet ports. I don't know about smarthomes, but it sounds like you could plug one of ports for the Linksys (in my example) into the patch panel - but you would have to look that part up!

However, I much easier options is to use powerline ethernet adapters! You just need plug points near your modem and neer the patch panel. Just plug them in and they work. They work best when plugged directly into the wall and not on a power strip.

All the best,

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

What you could do without changing firmware, pretty much the same as above ...

Plug into what ever data point is near your modem from one of its ethernet ports. At your patch panel, patch this the data port above to a data port on the 3rd floor.

Now to extend the wireless you will need a wireless access point/ router (be sure to disable DHCP/ enable access point mode if your using a router, specifically the one mentioned below) connect to the data point patched to the point downstairs. Just be sure to connect it to one of the four ethernet ports on the router upstairs- NOT the WAN/ Internet port. Give it the exact same wireless settings i/e name/ security as your main router down stairs.

I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't PM me and I'll try explain it better!

btw, a router like this http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MME5842704 will do the job.

Advertisement