Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs

Options
  • 06-02-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone ever used homeplugs?

Need to extend wireless coverage in my house and these seems to fit the bill, but don't know are they gimmicky or are they the real deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

They work just fine. They treat the electric wiring like an ethernet hub (actual speeds are a lot less when traffic is in both directions and performance degrades further with each additional plug you add).

Get a decent speed set (the 200mbps ones) and it will do the job easily for you - even if you have fairly high speed broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've got the Solwise 85mbit homeplugs. Distributing Broadband and streaming content from servers to XBMC xboxes. Used in 2 rooms in old house where there was no CAT5e in thouse rooms. Worked flawlessly for BB and concurrent SD video streams. ie 1 homeplug in the the two rooms and 3rd plug plugged into router.

In new house pre-renovation with no network cabling at all the homeplugs were a lifesaver. Broadband was perfect no matter what. However with more homeplugs on the network SD Video streaming would stutter on occasion when more than 2 people were trying to stream at once. Ancient house wiring probably slowed them down big time.

In Rented house while renovations going on. Same as above.

Brilliant yokes and have been a lifesaver but I still can't wait to get back in the renovated house to a brand new gigabit CAT5e wired network :D

Pay the extra for the Av 200mbit ones and you'll be grand for Multiple concurrent video streams. If it is simply to share broadband connection with little or no video streaming or big file transfers from one PC to another, then the cheaper 85mbit ones should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Anyone got a link to a good one to buy?

Komplett only seem to stock one type, Belkin, and I don't like Belkin.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

-

Avoid the Belkin Gigabit units - had a set after a set of great Netgear units, never again!

-

Oh yea, try dabs.ie for more - be wary of buying them from a non-UK/Irish company if your buying the "all on the plug" units as yea will most likely have to use a plug adapter which is a pain as the Homeplug/Powerline units are usually heavy.

Search for homeplug or powerline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I've got a set of the Devolo 200 Mbit ones, they worked fine for me.

A friend has two sets (I think they're matched pairs) and he tried the third and there was a lot of slowing down, so that might be something to consider.

Devolo (I think) have just released the "pass-through" ones which means you don't lose a socket.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Also using Devolo 200mbit plugs, working perfectly with a voip phone on it. About 3-4ms latency between the plugs and 52 megabits tcp throughput, will be much slower if they're in extensions.

I've got a set of the Devolo 200 Mbit ones, they worked fine for me.

A friend has two sets (I think they're matched pairs) and he tried the third and there was a lot of slowing down, so that might be something to consider.

Devolo (I think) have just released the "pass-through" ones which means you don't lose a socket.

SSE

I believe (and can be corrected mind) that homeplug/powerline devices will only operate as fast as the slowest device when they individually slow down if they discover interference.
    ie. 3x Devolo 100mbps units
    unit 1 and 2 when connected on their own run at 150mbps
    unit 3 is connected and is on some very old house wiring which has a old fridge attached to the same plug socket, its connection speed slows down due to interference thus the other 2 units which where connected at 150mbps drop in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

kerbdog wrote: »
    I believe (and can be corrected mind) that homeplug/powerline devices will only operate as fast as the slowest device when they individually slow down if they discover interference.
    ie. 3x Devolo 100mbps units
    unit 1 and 2 when connected on their own run at 150mbps
    unit 3 is connected and is on some very old house wiring which has a old fridge attached to the same plug socket, its connection speed slows down due to interference thus the other 2 units which where connected at 150mbps drop in speed.

I thought they had to be used in pairs?! Also need to avoid trailing cable extensions.

SSE

yea need two compatible units to create a point to point connection, but you can use 2+ compatible units to create a larger network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

jboy2009 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone ever used homeplugs?

Need to extend wireless coverage in my house and these seems to fit the bill, but don't know are they gimmicky or are they the real deal?

The real deal. Faster and more reliable than your wireless (if you get the 200Mbit ones).
    I use one of mine with a sitecom wireless range extender (set up a a wireless bridge) in an area that was previously out of wi-fi range. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Bought a Zyxel 200mb homeplug set.

Can't for the life of me get them to work. That can't even recogonise each other when their plugged in the same room.

Any ideas? ...presume it could be the wiring in my house? (which is only 1-2 years old)

Hi all,

Can't for the life of me get them to work. That can't even recogonise each other when their plugged in the same room.

Any ideas? ...presume it could be the wiring in my house? (which is only 1-2 years old)

Plug them both into the same power strip/extension to see if they can 'see' each other - never had a problem with home-plug seeing each other, ensure yea follow the manual - ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/PLA-401_v3/quick_start_guide/PLA-401%20v3_1.pdf

Hi all,

What's your network setup like? What exactly are you trying to connect?

RT66 wrote: »
    What's your network setup like? What exactly are you trying to connect?

Hey,

I haven't got the chance to plug them both into the same powerstrip ...i'll try later.

All I'm trying to do it connect the homeplug to my wireless modem/router and then the 2nd homeplug into my laptop.

Hey,

I haven't got the chance to plug them both into the same powerstrip ...i'll try later.

All I'm trying to do it connect the homeplug to my wireless modem/router and then the 2nd homeplug into my laptop.

1st, check that it works using the same cables but not using the plugs.
    If those plugs have encryption buttons on them, make sure you haven't got one of them switched on and the other off.

RT66 wrote: »
    1st, check that it works using the same cables but not using the plugs.
    If those plugs have encryption buttons on them, make sure you haven't got one of them switched on and the other off.

Hey,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say use the same cables but not using the plugs?

Hey,

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say use the same cables but not using the plugs?

Plug the laptop directly into the router using the same network cables you're planning to use with the plugs. See if they're working ok. It may save you troubleshooting the wrong piece of equipment.

Advertisement