Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-classifying Payload

Options
  • 06-02-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My camper is a 1997 Adriatic and has gvw 3.2. I should like to increase this to a gross carrying weight of 3.5 but don't know how to go about it. I have read it is possible to do this in UK but have never heard about it being done in Ireland. Can anyone help please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

My camper is a 1997 Adriatic and has gvw 3.2. I should like to increase this to a gross carrying weight of 3.5 but don't know how to go about it. I have read it is possible to do this in UK but have never heard about it being done in Ireland. Can anyone help please.

I'm afraid that the plated weight can only be reduced from that issued by the original manufacturer. (axel loads, chassis, suspension, brakes etc. are designed to be able to cope with this max plated weight)

Reducing the plated weight is usually done for tax purposes, when carrying low weight, high volume goods. Perhaps your vehicle plated weight was reduced in it's past?

There are a few authorised agents that can plate vehicles here, e.g. www.mutec.ie

The only way i imagine that you could increase the plated weight that i can think of is, if the design weight issued by the manufacturer is higher than the current plated weight you have now, then the current weight could be brought up to this upper manufacturer's limit (hopefully 3.5t!)

Might state the max design weights in the owners manual...

Hope that helps and or makes some sense :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have a look here at http://www.svtech.co.uk/ they are fully accredited and used by a lot of people in the UK who both increase and decrease the gross vehicle weight of their campers.
    Their certification is acceptable to UK authorities and elsewhere in Europe but not sure about here. We seem to be light years behind in this kind of stuff.

Advertisement