Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hypothetical pope speech

Options
  • 06-02-2010 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have read quite a few letters from homosexuals stating that peadophilia is not a choice but a genetic disorder and men join the priest hood to fight temptation and believe god will save them. My views on that will not be aired here but my question is, for all christians is that, if the Pope announced through some way that we must forgive these child rapists and it is not their fault but a mental disorder etc, would the majority of christians accept this and therefore condone they abuse of children? I understand this is a very to the point question but I am not going to beat around the bush and get involved in the intricacies of arguements like this. I would just like to know that if your opinion would change of paedophiles.

This is not a hate thread, even though I recently defected my declaration from the catholic church, I still respect all regions and their views . SO all opinions would be fascinating to hear.

Thanking you all.
    IJTT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think you ought to read up on paedophilia and homosexuality. I don't think you can count the clerical sex abusers as paedophiles, maybe some of them were, but it seems like they were just sick abusers. Nothing more; nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imjustthetruth

Trust me, I have read up on these, The ryan and murphy reports, aticles written by leading journalists and the average Joe that has an opinion that does count.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

To clarify. I defected from the church due to reasons such as I do not want to be condoning peadophiles, I do not want to condone the cover ups and It makes me sick to my stomach how the Irish people just forget about it after a few weeks while the survivors have this problem forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Hummm... homosexuality = paedophilia!

This thread has a veeery short shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hummm... homosexuality
    Malty_T wrote: »
    Feel me to correct me guys.
    It's not that type of website, Malty.

Siteban for soliciting!

:pac:
    Not as good as your one..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Malty_T wrote: »
    Not as good as your one..:pac:

Nobody mocks FC and gets away with it.

I'm emailing your doorstep a flaming bag of poo!

you have missed my point. People believe Homosexuality is genetic so do people belive oldr men attracted to young men is also genetic but I dont follow that even with my science background. so to change it, Should all paedophiles be given harshest sentences possible. or should they be allowed to leave their life choice. The recent paedophile got a few months in jail for abusing alter boys. Wow thats handy in a few more months he has more kids to rape. I hope at least one response from a boardser realaises my anger in the differences and contradicitions. I accept the bible is not to be taken literally etc and there in its own right is a contradiction but if you are indecent to a child, especially as a " respected member of the community" then that should be immediate prosecution. I am now agnostic and need a new path but if this post was in the atheist room I would have very different responses but that is the easy way out. I would just like detailed explanations how a christian can condone this abomination.

Even though I am agnostic I still respect all religious views as long as they lead them to a fulfilled lifr and one with happiness and lack of worries. I am not attacking so please do not think that I am. I just need a place to air this. and im sure y'all will give nice resonses :) ( im not from alabama either} lol

sorry btw im original poster problems with gettin my new password but all sorted now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well to begin with creating hypothetical situations to get a point across is never a good start.

But as luck would have it its not as hypothetical as it would seem to begin with, after all forgiving those who trespass against them is part and parcel of the Christian philosophy.

But you can forgive someone while still condemning the crime they committed, the families of murdered people sometimes forgive the murderer, but it doesn't mean they now believe murder to be acceptable.

On a side-note should you want to get your original user name back you should try the recover password option (you need to be logged out for that link) or contact the helpdesk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I see little point in such hypothetical questions.

We might as well ask, "What would you think if Richard Dawkins announced he was having a love affair with Christopher Hitchens, but says its OK because even though they both know deep-down that God really exists they're going to join a Unitarian Church that will marry them?"

There's enough opportunity for people to vent at what the Pope or anyone actually does say, rather than discussing his hypothetical statements.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement