Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rás Mumhan

Options
  • 05-02-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, have any of ye done this race in previous years or planning on doing it this year. It looks like a savage race alright but I am not sure is it too much so. Looking at the results from last year, the average speeds and number of riders dropping out (and who was dropping out) is phenomenal, especially when you look at the route profile. Excellent website, just look at the route info and results details. Fair play! I remember the Kerry Youth Tour and how well it was run by Killorglin so I want to go back for more :D

My new club had a team in it last year but most of them didn't finish. I will have to ask them more about it but first of all what do you guys think of it? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. It is either this or the Gorey 3 Day but this seems more appealing at the moment. My club will probably have a team at both.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Ballyh. I have never raced and know nothing about races. But I know the roads of this years routes very well. I is a fairly hill course with one of the stages having a hell of a lot of climbing.
    Given you posts re climbing etc I would imagine that it would have some of the stages that could suit you.

Also the stage finishing at MollsGap passes directly outside my house. So if you do it I can promise to look out for you and cheer you on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I think the weather was bloody awful last year, which probably contributed to the number of people dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Yes, you are right in saying that I like the hills...the steeper the better for me. I would have a rough knowledge of some of the roads alright, especially around Waterville and Moll's Gap as I have access to a house in the Caherdaniel/Derrynane area sometimes during the summer. I am not worried about this aspect of it, it is more the distances (140km) and speeds over four days as there are some top class riders in it over the years. I was talking to one guy who plans on just heading down for the Friday and "Queen" Saturday stage, so I might just do something like that although I cannot imagine you would get half price entry with that too! :D

Thanks again! Oh, and thanks for the encouragement...I will let you know if I decide to do it. I suppose I can expect tea and sandwiches back in your afterwards can I? Hehe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I was there last year and the year before in various capacities. The weather was not the reason for the dropouts last year (stage 1 and 4 were perfect, stage 2 was rainy, but not bad, stage 3 was nice but cross winds out in valencia). The high level of competition and brutal pace combined with vicious climbs and merciless terrain is what did it. If you are comfortable riding A races, especially higher calibre ones like the Shay Elliot then you will be fine and will have a chance of making it around. For reference, one of our guys came 9th in the Elliot and was 9th in Ras Mumhan after a couple of stages before illness pushed him out. However, we had 2 riders who won A races during the year (including one who was away in a break over the conor pass during stage 4 of the ras), and finished top 10 in most that they entered who were dropped on 2 of the stages.

Its a magnificent race and if you are a climber, preferably of the calibre that can hang with A riders it will be worth a punt. But you are a junior aren't you ? I would go to Gorey, it's tough to win but a cakewalk to finish in the bunch, if you are strong enough to be thinking Ras Mumhan maybe you could have a shot at a placing in Gorey. In Ras Mumhan getting around in the last bunch on the road is an achievement for most B riders (and quite a few A's).

OK Quigs, sound for that great info! It definitely gives me a a good insight and sounds like a fantastic race alright for anyone who is able for it.

Yes, I'm a Junior alright but with big hopes! :D Have you ever seen riders of this category do it? I think Sam Bennett did it last year but he would have been first year U23 (and a very good one at that).

I will ask around my club and see who's going where! Anyone here plan on doing it or is the Gorey (did I hear that it is handicapped) more appealing to you all as it is a lot closer? Well this is closer to me. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

OK Quigs, sound for that great info! It definitely gives me a a good insight and sounds like a fantastic race alright for anyone who is able for it.

Yes, I'm a Junior alright but with big hopes! :D Have you ever seen riders of this category do it? I think Sam Bennett did it last year but he would have been first year U23 (and a very good one at that).

I will ask around my club and see who's going where! Anyone here plan on doing it or is the Gorey (did I hear that it is handicapped) more appealing to you all as it is a lot closer? Well this is closer to me. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. ;)

If you're thinking about doing the gorey you'd want to get your entry in quick-smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yep, Gorey will be full very, very soon (and you need to be A3 or higher to both it or Ras Mumhan - are you an A3 ? If not you will have to upgrade yourself). Our entries are already in for Gorey I think. Maybe put your entry in anyway and if you don't use it later give it to someone else. I reckon you will be able to enter Ras Mumhan right up to the week of the event. Sam Bennett and Philip Lavery did Ras Mumhan last year and both did ok. Sam was only using it to get in shape. Philip was away in the break on day 1. Both did well. If you are of that calibre you will have nothing to fear from any race.

Yes, I'm A3 alright although I think all Juniors are. I might just contact the guys in my club who were putting in the entry and see what the story is. CI (well Dan Curtain) said that he will "be able to put in place three teams for the weekend of Easter racing, Gorey, Tour of the North and the Kerry Group Ras Mumhan". Hopefully I mightn't have the choice of choosing where to go will be told which one to do! That would be nice :D They will be picking the following squads after this weekends training and development camp in Westport, fingers crossed! : the Junior Road Squad (male and female),, the Junior Track Squad, (male and female), the Junior Development Road Squad (male and female),, the Junior Development Track Squad, (male and female), the male Development Road Squad for riders under 25 years of age, the male Development Track Squad for riders under 25 years of age, the female Development Road Squad for riders under 27 years of age, the female Development Track Squad for riders under 27 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Home:Ballyhoura hope you and your club make it to Killorglin, I've a (very) few pictures to whet your appetite here:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lescol/ I was away last year but aim to see the racing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'll be heading to the Ras Mumhan and looking forward to it. Stage two, summit finish - perfect for me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement