Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters insurance question

Options
  • 05-02-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I have been talking to a live in landlord recently about renting a room in his house. He informed me that any of the personal items I bring to the house would not be covered by his insurance nor would I personally be covered for accidents etc whilst in the house.

Does this strike you as odd ? I haven't shared with a live-in landlord before.

Also is it possible for me to just insure my own contents in his house ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are a few companies that do tenants contents only insurance, but I'm not sure about lodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Something I would like to add on is this guy wants the rent in cash and was offering up a rental agreement after an initial 3 month trial period.

I'm starting to think I should run a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

KTRIC wrote: »
    I have been talking to a live in landlord recently about renting a room in his house. He informed me that any of the personal items I bring to the house would not be covered by his insurance nor would I personally be covered for accidents etc whilst in the house.

Does this strike you as odd ? I haven't shared with a live-in landlord before.

Also is it possible for me to just insure my own contents in his house ?

I don't have the time to read through T&C's of this policy but it may help - http://www.bankofireland.ie/personal/day_to_day/insurance/home_insurance/index.html
    Something I would like to add on is this guy wants the rent in cash and was offering up a rental agreement after an initial 3 month trial period.

I'm starting to think I should run a mile.

I wouldn't be so concerned with the cash aspect as long as you have a rent book and are claiming rent tax relief. You can always inform Revenue if you think something else dodgy is going on. As for a rental agreement, I don't think it hold much weight compaired to renting an apartment (I think). He still could throw you out with out much hassle (I think).

Mind you, I too would run a mile.

stepbar wrote: »
    He still could throw you out with out much hassle (I think).

Does anyone know what rights I would have in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lodgers are only entitled to reasonable notice (in either direction), although some notice period could be agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Seems a bit odd. Most house insurance covers visitors to the house falling down the stairs, so why wouldn't you be?

and seeing house insurance covers tvs computers etc - but you do have to mention items of particular worth (like the diamond necklace you inherited) - unless you've got expensive equipment, your stuff should be covered too.

Seems a bit odd. Most house insurance covers visitors to the house falling down the stairs, so why wouldn't you be?

and seeing house insurance covers tvs computers etc - but you do have to mention items of particular worth (like the diamond necklace you inherited) - unless you've got expensive equipment, your stuff should be covered too.

My personal effects would be worth about 10 - 15k at the most.

Advertisement