Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular faceplates for RJ45, RJ11, Coax, etc

Options
  • 05-02-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

I'm currently planning my networking, phone and tv cabling for a house renovation and I'm looking for a modular faceplate that I can swap connectors in and out for RJ45, RJ11, Coax etc as needed. Something similar to Levitons' QuickPort Wallplates seen here but obviously needs to be on an Irish format back box to keep things standard.

Maplins have backboxes and faceplates but they aren't modular and only support one connection type per box - I'd like to be able to mix RJ45, RJ11, Coax as needed.

Any ideas on whether such a thing is available in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

I would presume any electrical wholesaler would have these. I know kellihers in Kilkenny and waterford do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm looking for the same thing. Let us know if you find an Irish supplier. I've seen that Smarthomes.ie use the MK modular wall plates but I am sure its cheaper to get them direct from suppliers whether that be here or in the UK. TLC-direct.co.uk are a name mentioned often over on avforums. I also found http://www.euronetwork.co.uk/acatalog/Wall_Plate_Clip-In_System.html
    http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/Europlate-modular-audio-video-wall_plates.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Im a Panduit certified installer and though its not modular like you say we do install everything over cat5e/cat6. So in say a four port configuration I can have 2 cat6, I Component, one HDMI etc etc

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/ProductSearch/index.htm?lastNodeId=ss_prod_coppersolutions&N=5000001+1876&Nu=P_RollupKey

But I know CPC have another faceplate that might suit ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Think I know what I am going to do now. I was shocked by the price of modular systems from av4home with brushed Chrome wall plates and anyway, the particular modules came in sizes that pushed me over into needing 3 wall plates in some rooms. The modules were only a few quid each on both sites but the Chrome wall plates were 30 euro + versus 4 or 5 euro in white plastic.

I decided that seeing as every single wallplate location would ultimately be behind something, be it a cupboard, computer desk, AV rack etc within no more than a few months after the completion of renovations, I figured that I could live with looking at white wall plates for a few months despite mains points and lightswitches around the rest of the rooms being brushed chrome. They are the important ones to be aesthetically pleasing anyway as they are more likely to be on show permanently. TV/Data/AV wallplates not so much.

As such I think I will go for the white modular system from euronetwork for TV/Data/Phone and white 5.1 speaker wall plates from Nexxia.co.uk

My layout will be the following.

Living Room
    Double gang Euronetwork Modular Wall plate
    - Twin F connector, Hdmi, 2x RJ45 (second Cat5e RJ45 with adapters for Phone)
    Double gang Nexxia Surround Sound 5.1 wallplate

Kitchen/Diner
    Double gang Nexxia Surround Sound 5.1 wallplate

Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2,3,4,5
    - Twin F connector, Blanking module, 2x RJ45 (second Cat5e RJ45 with adapters for Phone)

Dedicated Home-Cinema Room in Attic
    - Twin F connector, Blanking module, 2x RJ45 (second Cat5e RJ45 with adapters for Phone) behind gear rack for incoming services.
    Single Gang Brushed Chrome Brush Wallplates. (Like the draught excluder on a letterbox)HDMI,Component to projector and 5.1 speaker cable runs direct connections passing through partition walls via brush plates.

Going to locate Sat Tv Multiswitch and Ethernet gigabit switch and centre of Phone star hub in attic. Server and ADSL router in Kitchen/Diner. ADSL router here to keep it as close to the eircom master socket as possible. ADSL filter feeding Router, Dect Phone and a line up to the Phone Star hub in attic. Star hub is purely to feed Sky Multiroom STB's around the house, otherwise I wouldn't bother with phone lines to each room at all.
    Server here due to it being more sensitive to heat in attic that TV multiswitch or Gigabit switch. Also don't want server in attic due to the need for hard reboots on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 minmax89

m_stan wrote: »
    I'm currently planning my networking, phone and tv cabling for a house renovation and I'm looking for a modular faceplate that I can swap connectors in and out for RJ45, RJ11, Coax etc as needed. Something similar to Levitons' QuickPort Wallplates seen here but obviously needs to be on an Irish format back box to keep things standard.

Maplins have backboxes and faceplates but they aren't modular and only support one connection type per box - I'd like to be able to mix RJ45, RJ11, Coax as needed.

Any ideas on whether such a thing is available in Ireland?

Hey bud.

I'm on a Job where I've just fitted the Leviton plates. This company does them in the UK with UK spec (so good for Irish) plates. Check them out:

http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?

Hope this helps. Oh and they work a treat! The guy has two sat ports, TV and ethernet - all hooked up to his freesat reciever. AND in a single gang box.

Adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KangoHammer

Leviton have an agent here in Ireland, PM me if you want their details.

Advertisement