Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caprica S01E03 "Reins Of A Waterfall" [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Loved this episode. So many Stargate actors in Caprica and now a BSG actress in a recurring role. (Kat).

I really like this show. So many little things going on. So many minor mysteries developing. I could really get addicted to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Personally, i thought it was dreadful...very very dull, snails pace. But there was a nice little plot development at the very end. But it was just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Personally, i thought it was dreadful...very very dull, snails pace. But there was a nice little plot development at the very end. But it was just boring.

Yeah i have to agree. I want to like caprica but its yet to give me a reason. Im hoping its just a slow start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Freakiest scene: Zoe Cylon watching her parents "frak".

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

:), thought it was fairly humorous when the cylons eyes looks away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Special present? I want it now. I want the kids to see".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Small things seemed strange. In a world were FTL and self aware AI are possible, they're using VHS? :eek:

Next episode should be interesting. Why is there a two week wait for it though?

Small things seemed strange. In a world were FTL and self aware AI are possible, they're using VHS? :eek:

Next episode should be interesting. Why is there a two week wait for it though?

Cheers for the mini hiatus warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it seems to be turning into a nice show, your just waiting for greystone to get adamas daughter back, duplicate her program and start hammering out more cylons, all to make his companies stock go through the roof,

im gonna assume this show will be covering the pinacle and ultimate demise of greystone industries, cant see them being loved once the cylons go on the warpath,

anyone know how this show is going ratings wise, i think once they get around the 2 million mark season 2 is a banker,

its weird really when stagate atlantis started and BSG started i imediately took to atlantis, took me a while to take to BSG, now it seems the franchises have reversed themselfs, im really liking caprica so far, and have yet to get into SGU,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I liked it. I'm really fascinated with Bill Adamas childhood, this is nothing what I had imagined at all and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it, I'd love to see if they get to the point where he basically gets back on the straight and narrow and joins the military because the current road he is on leads straight to Mafioso.

The VHS thing kinda sucked me out of the moment, it seemed out of place...as if they just put in that scene so the detective could pull out the tape and bin it dramatically (I suppose just throwing out one of those oddly shaped CD's they had on Galatica wouldn't have had the same impact). I mean I'd be surprised if anywhere in Ireland still uses VHS security cameras, certainly not large police stations anyway I wouldn't think and Caprica must be more than 100 years more advanced then we are probably more. Also I saw a Mini Cooper parked when Lacy jumped that guy outside the school :/

Sam Adama is clearly the best character in this show (he's the new Omar), followed by Daniel Graystone and Joseph Adama. His last scene this week was great, cant wait for the next episode as they're rivalry is getting more and more intense. The teen girls are the least interesting aspect of the show for me so far, too much melodrama not enough fanatical robots and suicidal extremists. But I understand they'll be progressing that story in drips and drops, afterall it needs to sustain the show for possibly a few seasons.

So far so good, the episodes haven't been amazing but I really like the direction of the show and the world building is great bar one of two mishaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I liked it. The end scene was fantastic. Joseph is a one hard ass bastard. Sam didn't seem too happy about the request though.

Young William skipping school to do work for the Mafia was interesting. I wonder will the actions of his uncle play a part in him eventually joining the military?

I also wonder will it be Zoe or Tammara that will become the brain for the other Cylon robots? You can certainly see where their daddy issues came from.

I'm glad some of you are liking it. I got worried for a moment there when the only posts after mine where slating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,339 ✭✭✭✭noodler

robby^5 wrote: »
    I mean I'd be surprised if anywhere in Ireland still uses VHS security cameras, certainly not large police stations anyway

No, maybe not police stations but absolutely MILLIONS of places still use VHS.

*Millions may be thousands.

I enjoyed it, not quite as good as last week but good. Little surprised at the lack of understanding from Joseph - so the ordering of the execution of Graystone's wife was a little bit hard for me to understand/believe.

Police turning out to be corrupt as hell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ratings dropping by ep. 3 not a good sign, and I'm sure it's not the cheapest to produce. I'd like to see it go somewhere soon or it'll be axed before it gets a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Like many people here, I really see Caprica as something that I want to like, but it just seems that the teen drama for one is ruining it. "She's like, a robot, who like, wants to go shopping!"

Secondly, I think that they really didn't think Caprica through properly. I mean, did they really expect people to be able to relate to a soap opera that is essentially set in a world very different from our own?

That being said, I'm continuing to watch the series, simply because I'm interested in seeing how it is that William Adama becomes what he is in Galactica.

This show would be amazing if they get up to the point where the First Cylon War breaks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I thought one of the gangsters was cylon no2, looks a lot like him

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5917/no2f.png

TheBandit wrote: »
    I thought one of the gangsters was cylon no2, looks a lot like him

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5917/no2f.png

I believe, 99% sure anyway, that is Duck from BSG who
    blew himself up at the start of Season 3 in one of the absolute best OMG moments in the entire series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

noodler wrote: »
    I believe, 99% sure anyway, that is Duck from BSG who
    blew himself up at the start of Season 3 in one of the absolute best OMG moments in the entire series

your spot on. I knew he reminded me of someone and thought it was 2.

picture of duck
    http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Duck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

its being killed, and will keep getting killed untill it has a good lead in show, or if its leading a good show in,

i think its a bad move letting it stand by itself, i dunno did BSG air with SG when it started to help it get on its feet,

those are some bad numbers, even for syfy,

• Advertisement

Whats a minimum guideline figure for another series ratings-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

noodler wrote: »
    Whats a minimum guideline figure for another series ratings-wise?

I only follow one other syfy show, Stargate Universe, and it usually has ratings in and around the 2 million mark. It had a few drops but it was back up to 1.8 million viewers by the end of the series. I think another big SyFy show Eureka gets again in or around 3 million.

So far Caprica looks like it's losing 200,000 viewers per episode :/

I think they need something big and dramatic to happen in the plot soon to pick up the ratings.

You'd need to average 2.0m as it's an expensive show to make.

I think some sort of middleground needs to be found regarding the downloading of TV show.

I never watch on TV anymore - although it is probably less of an issue in the states since shows are screened their first.

I hope it saves itself, really want to see the war breakout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Another slowish episode, but good. The last scene was nice and unexpected.

Not happy with the mini hiatus. Would. I hope the give it a chance, and the it builds up to a strong season finale.

Here's hoping.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Thought this was much improved!

Rather a lot of familiar faces from other scifi shows though, it was a bit distracting. There's already the special agent guy who was in an episode of SG1, and this had Tanith, Julian Donovan and Dr Fraiser from Stargate SG1 and Kat and Duck from BSG. Serves me right for being such a nerd, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Like many people here, I really see Caprica as something that I want to like, but it just seems that the teen drama for one is ruining it. "She's like, a robot, who like, wants to go shopping!"

Hehe, I felt the same about the show, the whole teenage flic aspect is putting me off somewhat but there is something intriguing about the show all the same and I'll be interested to see how it develops (if it gets that chance).

I never knew Bill Adama came from a family of Mafiosos, I seem to remember something about Apollo going on about his grandfather who was also a lawyer but I don't think he knew that he was a corrupt lawyer...

There are a lot of aspects to the first few episodes which seem to me to come straight from Neal Stepheson's excellent 'Snowcrash' novel. This story introduces the concept of a virtual world which is inhabited by avatars, an elite group of which (the best hackers) have access to a particular nightclub (identical to Caprica's V club concept).

The most interesting thing in this show so far for me is how they are treating the concept of how the early Cylon's think and what would have motivated them to want a body / skinjob body. Here we are shown that it is in fact Graystone himself who imposes a body on the Zoe copy. Because she is a copy of a human to begin with it follows that she will want a human body in time.

Its probably a nerdy admission, but the VHS thing also annoyed me btw, and Graystone also used a USB key when he was downloading Zoe in the pilot :rolleyes:

See this whole VHS thing... You have to remember that there are 12 worlds and we are seeing the Richest most advanced one. Who's to say that the other 11 aren't using VHS. I don't see why it would bother anyone. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Another point about the VHS thing is that they are cops, so they are public servants, and if the 12 colonies are anything like our world then the public sector probably isn't on the cutting edge of technology.

It didn't bother me that much.

• Advertisement

Future Wikipedia entry......... Caprica lasted only one season. The ratings fell to just a handful of viewers after the show used VHS in an episode. Fans were outraged at the use of this technology in this fictional world of FTL's, Virtual reality, AI robots, and Divine intervention.

Advertisement