Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosing ftp problems

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having some troubles with ftp at the moment. I'm running windows xp.

Uploads continue to freeze, hang, crash or crawl along.

I've tried both cute and ws ftp. I've tried passive and non passive. I've tried with and without windows firewall.

Is there any applictions i can get to test my laptop and home network setup to find the issue along the way?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

It leans towards the heavy technical side, but you could run a network packet capture to see what the ftp session is doing. A good free one is wireshark - www.wireshark.org.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The problem may not be at the client end at all, but you could try pinging the remote server or running a traceroute to see if there's an obvious problem.
    From the command prompt >ping servername
    >tracert servername

Also, your ftp program should be generating logs. Have a look there and see if there are any clues.

Advertisement