Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say it in Russian ?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Sometimes all of us need to say something in foreign language.Here I offer to ask 'how to say..' native Russian speakers.

For instance " Nice to meet you "- Приятно познакомиться or Очень приятно
    (PreYatno poznakOmitsa or you can say also Ochen' preYatno)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How do you say 'Good luck' and 'have fun'. Two of the things I say most often.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭survivor2

dory wrote: »
    How do you say 'Good luck' and 'have fun'. Two of the things I say most often.

there are no absolutely the same phrases in Russian,but if we'll try to save an
    expression that could be "Good luck"-Желаю удачи(zhelAyu oodAchy! or oodAchy!)

"Have fun !"- there's no an analog phrase in Russian and I would try to find a similar one: Счастливо! (SchasLEEvo!) or Пока! (РаKa!)-(sometimes it sounds like "f.ck all" for an Irish ears :) but means still "Have fun'') or
    Не скучай! (Nee scooChay!) and of course if you wish you could say all three phrases alltoghether.it's allowed in Russian=your Russian opponent was impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

Both "Good luck" and "Have fun", when used to say goodbye, can be substituted in Russian by a single word "Давай". Literally the word means "give", and it doesn't seem to make much sense, but it is very widely used.

Ну давай, пока!

Wow! I've found an interesting website with Russian Vocabulary.Here you can read how to name some things in Russian and to HEAR it !
    That's cool enough! http://www.languageguide.org/im/fruits/ru/

Here you can check any russian word how it sounds.Just click any word and play the record http://swac-collections.org/overview.php?lang=rus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Я подал заявку на работу.

Ok i used an online translator and this came up.

I am trying to say "I applied for a job". Now i looked up my verb book and it says "подал" is the past tense of the verb "To apply" .

So why is the word заявку in the sentence? s the online translator simply wrong?

hope someone can help,
    Thanks
    DanDan

I would say that everithing is OK. Both English and Russian phrases are the same and correct. In this case "заявка" means "an application" and "я подал заявку.." looks like "i gave (them) an application.."="i applied.."

survivor2 wrote: »
    I would say that everithing is OK. Both English and Russian phrases are the same and correct. In this case "заявка" means "an application" and "я подал заявку.." looks like "i gave (them) an application.."="i applied.."

Thanks very much survivor :)

i have another query though. :o

I am saying "The World Cup is Boring this year". Without a translator i wrote:

"Кубок чемпионатого миры было скучно это года".

To see if i was right I used an online translator again and this came up:

"Кубок мира скучно в этом году". I am just wondering does the это года have to be in the prepositional case or are both ways correct?

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

DanDan

Ha-ha,both sentences are wrong! Proper phrase as Russians say:

"В этом году Чемпионат Мира по футболу был очень скучным"

In Russian you can change the word order - "Чемпионат Мира по футболу в этом году был очень скучным"

Both phrases are correct.

"Был" means "was". If you would like to speak in present time :"Чемпионат Мира по футболу в этом году очень скучен(or скучный)"

or you can use rough phrase(for instance if ye are at a pub):

"Чемпионат Мира в этом году-лажа!"

(the word "lAzha"-is a slang of musicians.Lazha means when musicians play false music)

P.S. От себя добавлю:Игры на Кубок Мира в этом году действительно не блещут.

survivor2 wrote: »
    Ha-ha,both sentences are wrong! Proper phrase as Russians say:

"В этом году Чемпионат Мира по футболу был очень скучным"

In Russian you can change the word order - "Чемпионат Мира по футболу в этом году был очень скучным"

Both phrases are correct.

"Был" means "was". If you would like to speak in present time :"Чемпионат Мира по футболу в этом году очень скучен(or скучный)"

or you can use rough phrase(for instance if ye are at a pub):

"Чемпионат Мира в этом году-лажа!"

(the word "lAzha"-is a slang of musicians.Lazha means when musicians play false music)

P.S. От себя добавлю:Игры на Кубок Мира в этом году действительно не блещут.

спасиба!!! The mistake above was just me not thinking at all!!

это очень скучный!!! я желаю что ирландия но россия в кубке мира по футболу!

сегодня, аргентина играла ладно.

Could you please correct what is wrong??!!

I'm writing this at 1 30am so am very tired, hope there is not too many mistakes.

What i am trying to say is:

Thankyou,

It is very boring (the WC). I wish that Ireland or Russia were in the World Cup.

Today, Argentina played O.K.
    :D!!

• Advertisement

DanDan6592 wrote: »

это очень скучный!!! я желаю что ирландия но россия в кубке мира по футболу!

сегодня, аргентина играла ладно.

Could you please correct what is wrong??!!
    :D!!

Cheers! The correct phrases:

Это очень скучно!!! Я хотел бы,чтобы Ирландия или Россия участвовали в Чемпионате Мира по футболу!

Сегодня Аргентина играла хорошо.

All phrases are absolutely as Russians say

Basic Russian words

Advertisement