Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a punter what do you think is a decent amount of fights at a show?

Options
  • 05-02-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Obviously quality is just as important as quantity.

We have always aimed to have around the 12 mark. Though with pull outs that is hard to get right.

One show we arranged 16 fights and no pullouts the next one I arranged around the same and ended up with 9 after many many changes.

From my own experience I have been at shows where i got bored watching too many fights. Just wondering what the general concensus is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The best shows have about 9-12 fights, after that they get boring, i've see a number of events where the main event fights are missed due to people leaving bored after watching 12-15 fights before the 2-3 main fights, more is not better, well matched and 9-12 in my opinion is best..

People get bored easily, especially when its with fighters that they dont know.

but to be safe it is best to have too many than too few as pull outs can ruin the show otherwise.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

I think 10-12 bouts on a card is ideal..... It keeps interest with the viewing public and gives them good value for their ticket price!!!

John
    www.cagecontender.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

If all the fights end in the 1st round it can be a short but exciting night, but if too many fights go to decision it can be long and boring.
    Tough to call for the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Danye

I would say 8 maybe 10 but no more, quality is way more important than quantity especially when trying and get more people into watching the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

As a paying customer with no links to any club I would say.

It’s not the quantity of fights that’s important, it’s the quality. When fighters are well matched (and wanting to fight) the fights are always good to watch.

One problem is with fights that are mismatched and one fighter is completely outclassed by another. This in my opinion does nothing for MMA.

Also filling cards with fighters that are not ready for the contest, by this I mean fighters that are not experienced enough, I don't mean people making their debut but fighters with not enough gym time/training hours to be valid competitors.

I don't see a problem with cards having to be reduced due to fighters having to withdraw with injuries, its filling the card with substandard fights and fighters and the promotions then claiming the quality has not gone down because the have 'whatever' amount of fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 DamoUp

I think 10-12 fights is probably about the best but quality of fights is utterly important.

Well matched fights make the night highly entertaining with great back and forth battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Steeul

12 fights including the headline is more then enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Anakin.S wrote: »
    It’s not the quantity of fights that’s important, it’s the quality. When fighters are well matched (and wanting to fight) the fights are always good to watch.

that about sums it up just right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

I think probably 10 fights is enough, but it sometimes isnt possible to have the exact amount you want.

In Ireland you start off with about 25 fights, and with pullouts you end up with maybe 10, but you might have a good month and still have 20 the week before. I wouldnt like to be the one to tell fighters who have trained for 8 weeks that their fight is off because of overbooking.

Sometimes its just luck, be it good or bad, but you always have to plan for the inevitable injuries that happen with combat sports.

Advertisement