Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networks with game console connections

Options
  • 05-02-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I purchased Asus N11 modem router from Argus the other day. This is the latest network technology and its absolutely fantastic. At the moment I have PC(wired), Laptop (wireless), 2xDSi (wireless), PS3 (wired), xbox 360 (wireless) and Wii (wireless) all connected and fully functional. The modem router allows you to prioritise gaming traffic with the press of a button or any other application for that matter. There is no installation CD, the Asus N11 once plugged to PC will detect settings within 60 seconds. I'm no tech. expert but have experimented with a few modem/routers. Belkin N+ (top of the range is not compatible with PS3 so stay away), perlico Zyxel 660hw T1v2 cant handle multiple devices at the same time. The Unpn is prone to change (for example when there is peak traffic on Perlico system which requires modem/ router reset to get NAT 2). There are problems setting up DSi's on Perlico Zyxel. Numerous attempts have been made to get connections BUT failed.

On the PS3 and Xbox, NAT is automaticllly open. No need to DMZ or portforward. The Upnp function is also automatically available. The modem router comes open (security access is optional). Neighbours are far enough away so as not to be able to pick up the unsecured network. Alot of the problems I come across with gaming consoles is security issuses like WEP. If your a homeuser, why not keep security open. However, one problem I did notice which I'm sure will be sorted with firmwave at some stage is that XBOX LIVE and PSN will disconnect every 5-10 minutes unless you disenable the firewall.

If you want uninterrupted gaming and fast internet connections - go for this router so long as you are prepared to pay over 100 euros and accept reduced security status. Talking to experts on Nets and Communications, they would agree that low security levels is not a problem for Home users.
    Its more of an issue for a business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

Really usefull info there. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I purchased Asus N11 modem router from Argus the other day. This is the latest network technology and its absolutely fantastic. At the moment I have PC(wired), Laptop (wireless), 2xDSi (wireless), PS3 (wired), xbox 360 (wireless) and Wii (wireless) all connected and fully functional. The modem router allows you to prioritise gaming traffic with the press of a button or any other application for that matter. There is no installation CD, the Asus N11 once plugged to PC will detect settings within 60 seconds. I'm no tech. expert but have experimented with a few modem/routers. Belkin N+ (top of the range is not compatible with PS3 so stay away), perlico Zyxel 660hw T1v2 cant handle multiple devices at the same time. The Unpn is prone to change (for example when there is peak traffic on Perlico system which requires modem/ router reset to get NAT 2). There are problems setting up DSi's on Perlico Zyxel. Numerous attempts have been made to get connections BUT failed.

On the PS3 and Xbox, NAT is automaticllly open. No need to DMZ or portforward. The Upnp function is also automatically available. The modem router comes open (security access is optional). Neighbours are far enough away so as not to be able to pick up the unsecured network. Alot of the problems I come across with gaming consoles is security issuses like WEP. If your a homeuser, why not keep security open. However, one problem I did notice which I'm sure will be sorted with firmwave at some stage is that XBOX LIVE and PSN will disconnect every 5-10 minutes unless you disenable the firewall.

If you want uninterrupted gaming and fast internet connections - go for this router so long as you are prepared to pay over 100 euros and accept reduced security status. Talking to experts on Nets and Communications, they would agree that low security levels is not a problem for Home users.
    Its more of an issue for a business

I commented on the computers forum where you posted this, and I think it's worth doing here too..
    It is a very very bad idea to have no security (or indeed WEP for that matter) on your wireless network. If someone else (wardriving) uses it to download child abuse material, the trace will lead back to your IP address. You will lose your computer equipment when the police execute a search warrant on your house. If you have kids, you may lose access to them while you're clearing your name. You will probably never be fully trusted by friends, relatives ever again.
    It happens, and it's a high price to pay for being too lazy to do the job right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Talking to experts on Nets and Communications, they would agree that low security levels is not a problem for Home users.

You've never posted in here asking about security on home networks, I can tell because I can see all the posts you have in this forum. And you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that would tell you that security doesn't matter for home users.
    RT66 wrote: »
    I commented on the computers forum where you posted this, and I think it's worth doing here too..
    It is a very very bad idea to have no security (or indeed WEP for that matter) on your wireless network. If someone else (wardriving) uses it to download child abuse material, the trace will lead back to your IP address. You will lose your computer equipment when the police execute a search warrant on your house. If you have kids, you may lose access to them while you're clearing your name. You will probably never be fully trusted by friends, relatives ever again.
    It happens, and it's a high price to pay for being too lazy to do the job right.

Thanks for the reply I meant to come back to this earlier in the week.

RT66 wrote: »

Have to say that sounds very paranoid and I doubt if any of it is true. Having some one download dodgy stuff from your ip address is not proof of anything. In cases where convictions are gotten for the kind of thing you are talking about there is a lot more evidence required such as credit card payments and physical files on pc's.

I switched off my wep and wap some time ago due to conflicts connecting consoles and frankly I dont care if someone browses using my net access.

sfag31 wrote: »
    Have to say that sounds very paranoid and I doubt if any of it is true. Having some one download dodgy stuff from your ip address is not proof of anything. In cases where convictions are gotten for the kind of thing you are talking about there is a lot more evidence required such as credit card payments and physical files on pc's.

I switched off my wep and wap some time ago due to conflicts connecting consoles and frankly I dont care if someone browses using my net access.

I never mentioned anyone getting convicted. Of course you wouldn't get convicted...there would be no evidence on your computers.
    My point is that you are leaving yourself open to investigation, suspicion and a fair amount of disruption. I've seen it happen, more than once, and it's not pretty.
    Each to their own though...

• Advertisement

OK.
    Now I am worried.
    Never thought things played out like that... but if you have seen it happen.....
    Think I'll switch the wep back on.
    But my router (netopia) firewall has to stay at low.
    If I go higher than low that then the kids cant go online with their xbox
    And their NDS's wont take anything higher than wep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

OK.
    Now I am worried.
    Never thought things played out like that... but if you ahve seen it happen.
    Think I'll switch the wep back on.
    But my router (netopia) firewall has to stay at low.
    If I go higher than low that then the kids cant go online with their xbox
    And their NDS's wont take anything higher than wep.

There should be no reason why the firewall on the netopia is stopping anyone getting online.

It is only a incomming firewall. IE Blocking traffic from coming from the internet to your devices.

I have a feeling the problem with the DSi is that it does not support newer wireless security. I know my son's only supports WEP

The only reason you need the netopia firewall set to low is to allow access to mapped ports.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Disconnecting every 5 minutes is a pretty big downside for gaming imho

There should be no reason why the firewall on the netopia is stopping anyone getting online.

It is only a incomming firewall. IE Blocking traffic from coming from the internet to your devices.

I have a feeling the problem with the DSi is that it does not support newer wireless security. I know my son's only supports WEP

The only reason you need the netopia firewall set to low is to allow access to mapped ports.

Shane

It has been widely reported on the net (including eircom support) that the eircom netopia router must have its security set to low to let the xbox access online. From experience I can vouch that is indeed true. It will not work without - despite setting 'pinholes'.

And yes - as the most popular console in world (probably) - the DS - one that you find in every home that has children - only does wep then wep is the highest that these homes can go to.
    For all the security bells and whistles that your router may have the standard becomes set by the lowest common denominator across all your consoles.

If you're forced to use WEP, you could consider limiting the IP address pool in DHCP to match the MAC addresses of your connected devices? It's not foolproof, but is better than nothing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Its more of an issue for a business.

Any idea what the difference is between the N11 and N13?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It has been widely reported on the net (including eircom support) that the eircom netopia router must have its security set to low to let the xbox access online. From experience I can vouch that is indeed true. It will not work without - despite setting 'pinholes'.

And yes - as the most popular console in world (probably) - the DS - one that you find in every home that has children - only does wep then wep is the highest that these homes can go to.
    For all the security bells and whistles that your router may have the standard becomes set by the lowest common denominator across all your consoles.

eircom [and most ISP] routers are piss poor and THAT is widely reported on the interwebs. That's no excuse for setting your firewall on low or off. Just purchase a proper firewall that actually works. Only have to spend around €60 for relative piece of mind.

I've never had to open ports or mess with firewalls [and I'm a technical user] once I used a good firewall product with or without uPNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

can you recommend any router for a setup that uses a ps3 a couple of laptops and tversity?

i have checked the internet and theres so much noise about it that its hard to decide.

i do like the sounds of the N11 though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Avoid WEP if at all possible.
    For those of you with DS's, you could consider one of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nintendo-DS-Wii-USB-Wifi-Access-Point_W0QQitemZ290401430100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN?hash=item439d462a54

It'll only let either a Wii or DS connect to it, so you can set your router to WPA2 instead!

Advertisement