Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owed prescriptions query

Options
  • 04-02-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hope you can help clear this one guys..
    Just before Christmas I got a prescription for 28 tablets, but they only gave me 25. I was supposed to go back the next day and get the remainder but I put it off and never went back since I got better pretty quickly.
    But they charged me for the full amount, so am I entitled to a refund for that?
    What if I was a medical card holder? Does the pharmacy claim for it from the HSE even though I didnt get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hope you can help clear this one guys..
    Just before Christmas I got a prescription for 28 tablets, but they only gave me 25. I was supposed to go back the next day and get the remainder but I put it off and never went back since I got better pretty quickly.
    But they charged me for the full amount, so am I entitled to a refund for that?
    What if I was a medical card holder? Does the pharmacy claim for it from the HSE even though I didnt get it?

There'll be a note on your Patient Medication Record that the 3 tabs are owed to you. By all means, go back to them and pick up the tabs. If you no longer need them, the pharmacist should be happy enough to refund you 3 tabs worth of what you paid.

As for the GMS patients, you sorta need to make a judgement call as to how likely it is that the patient is gonna call back for the meds. You should really take out any uncollected owings before you send your claim to the HSE (and therefore only claim for the 25 tabs), but that's not much good if the patient calls in on the 5th of the month and says "Where are my 3 tablets?"
    When pharmacies are inspected, this is one of the things that they're checking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nailan

When pharmacies are inspected, this is one of the things that they're checking for.

hi, why would this be checked? i assume you mean that some pharmacies claims for these 'owed' tabs. surely not?

:cool:

it has happened to me that i was short tabs, and when i returned some time later, they did not seem too happy. makes sense now, they had to 'fix' the record on the computer.

also, is there a time limit on returning for owed tabs? if i didn't collect tabs but down the road i know someone who needs the same tabs, i could save them a few bob ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

"fix"what record?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

nailan wrote: »
    hi, why would this be checked? i assume you mean that some pharmacies claims for these 'owed' tabs. surely not?
    It's one of about a thousand (Ok maybe I exaggerate a little!) things that inspectors might look at: Are proper records being kept? Are meds being given out without prescriptions? Are all the medicines being purchased from licensed wholesalers. Is the fridge at the right temperature? etc etc etc. Pharmacies can and do get inspected by the Health Service Executive, the Irish Medicines Board, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland and so on. It's only natural that one of the things that they're checking on is that the pharmacy isn't padding their claim.
    it has happened to me that i was short tabs, and when i returned some time later, they did not seem too happy. makes sense now, they had to 'fix' the record on the computer.

Perhaps the pharmacist had already claimed payment for the number of tabs they had actually dispensed to you first time around. In that case, they'd have to either have a big argument with you about how they actually no longer owed you anything (would you have believed them?) or just hand you out the extra tabs and take the hit on it. If they had to do that, I think they'd be entitled to be a bit pi55ed off.
    also, is there a time limit on returning for owed tabs? if i didn't collect tabs but down the road i know someone who needs the same tabs, i could save them a few bob ....

Part A: A prescription is valid for 6 months maximum, so after that time the pharmacist couldn't legally supply it to you.
    Part B: You cannot legally supply prescription medicine to your mate down the road.

Advertisement