Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Social Neighbours & Greedy Landlord

Options
  • 04-02-2010 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, i am having big problems with neighbours, they are on the social & renting the property next to me, 3 kids & a small dog, ohh sorry the dog got knocked over and somebody rang the rspca and they took the dog of them, they're there all day long banging doors, shouting, screaming, figthing etc...& a lot more which i do not want to go into at the moment. I have complained to the landlord on many occasions pleading with him not to renew the lease, as we are now intimidated by them, but i think he has signed a new lease with them for another year.
    What can be done, i cannot believe in the first place that the goverment pays rent to people to live in private rented property and they don't even have a job
    or have no intention of ever getting 1...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to complain to their landlord, not your own.

Alternatively you could make a complaint to the environment department of the local council or in the district court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is a lot you say in your post thats unnecessary. For example they are on the social.... So what.

Are you renting? If so send a letter to the landlord telling him if he does not sort it you will be terminating the lease. As your landlord to write to there landlord on your behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hasledan

I have complained to their landlord on many occassions, but he just shrugs his shoulders & is only interested in getting his payment from the social for the occupants rent...
    I own my house & so does the neighbour on the other side of the house in question, & we both want these anti social tenants out...
    Who do i talk to when the landlord will put anybody, in this case ( total scumbags) in to his property with no regard for anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

hasledan wrote: »
    Who do i talk to when the landlord will put anybody, in this case ( total scumbags) in to his property with no regard for anybody else.

Well he is allowed do that, whatever you may think. If they are causing serious disturbances ring the local Gards station every time to complain and log all the complaints. At least this way you will build up a bank of evidence and maybe even get the guards to do something. Landlord may be less willing to have them round if they causing constant trouble for the law

Well it seems that landlords can do whatever they please, the guards know all about these tenants, & have helped us a lot already, but seems their hands are tied most of the time, Infact the guards have rang the landlord twice already telling him what is going on, but he just shrugged his shoulders again...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

At the moment in Ireland, the laws surrounding noisey neighbours is pants and virtually non existent. The process for making a complaint is utterly ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no harm in contacting your local counceller and also your local TD aswell as whats been suggested so far. Whilst they dont have any direct powers to sort this you would be surprised how helpful they might be

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

We had the same problem a few years ago, these were the neighbours from hell. Constant fighting in the house and on the street, guards at the door regularly, drug dealing and loads more. Rang their landlord who didn't give a crap, told community welfare officer, social welfare officer, prtb and hse and nothing was done about them. We ended up selling up and moving and they stayed on there for another 3 years. When they moved out eventually the landlord had to gut the house, serves him right and now he can't rent it out at all...Maybe the TD idea would be the way to go as nothing else seems to be working for you. I know how frustrating it can be, paying a mortgage and people getting a house for next to nothing and not appreciating it. And before anyone starts I am now renting and in reciept of rent allowance (due to both of us being made redundant) and I am very grateful for it.... Hope you get this sorted out, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭malpas

best option is to contact the PRTB, talk to them about how to take a case for a) damages b) removal of tenants against the landlord. They will usually fastrack an urgent case for early hearing if you ask them to do so. Their fee is €25. While the process can be slow, you are entitled as a 3rd party to take action under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004. As OP above advised, keep records of each incident, requests to landlord, calls to Gardai (no harm to log complaints with them if you have not done so), any other evidence you can think of...document everything insofar as you can as the Adjudicator will look for as much factual evidence as possible (from both parties). Be aware that the tenants are entitled to attend the hearing. Landlord can be instructed to issue Notice of Termination (7 days is only required for serious anti-social behaviour), apart from any compensation you may be awarded if he is deemed to have breached his obligations under the Act.

before doing the above and maybe avoiding delay, probably a waste of time but you could advise the landlord (in writing) that you will initiate a PRTB case without further notice if he does not deal with the tenants and confirm back to you what he has done within say 7 days. You are on stronger ground than you think. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

faceman wrote: »
    At the moment in Ireland, the laws surrounding noisey neighbours is pants and virtually non existent. The process for making a complaint is utterly ridiculous

Fully agree. We had a particularly nasty neighbour who made our lives hell for three years. Court? Unless you get a sympathetic judge - forget it.

Gardaí? Not until we almost had our house sold did we get an effective Sergeant. He was brilliant. If only we had him earlier...

We were one of the lucky ones. We could afford to move. Got good money for the house. AND got another one at a great price. I wish you well. And the best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks everybody for reply, Sounds like i have your Neighbours Jessbud...
    & i think i will have to sell up and move on like you, if i can? because at this stage i have no other options, I have contacted the Guards who have been a great help over the last year, contacted Social Welfare, nothing much came of that & recently had a meeting with the local TD who is helping at the moment, so if nothing comes of the local TD's help, i will have no other option but to try and sell my house...but who wants to buy a house & live next door to SCUMBAGS?

Thanks everybody for reply, Sounds like i have your Neighbours Jessbud...
    & i think i will have to sell up and move on like you, if i can? because at this stage i have no other options, I have contacted the Guards who have been a great help over the last year, contacted Social Welfare, nothing much came of that & recently had a meeting with the local TD who is helping at the moment, so if nothing comes of the local TD's help, i will have no other option but to try and sell my house...but who wants to buy a house & live next door to SCUMBAGS?

You do have options..selling in present market is difficult & may cost you a lot. Please see my post above..it is the only effective way to get rid of difficult tenants and you should also claim for compensation for all the hassle. PRTB will fast track urgent case like yours...best of luck.

I will probably have to go to the PRTB as last resort, but i have a TD trying to sort something out at the moment, so will let you know how i get on with that.
    I did have a look at the PRTB's Website and it looked pretty complicated & a long process, and if their is any meet with the tenants i would not like to do that, as they are a of nasty breed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi OP, I sympathise with your situation, but I found this article which relates a similar but different situation to yours. However in this case the tenants have been removed. This kind of activity was made legal last year IIRC.

Also please see angel01's thread about "noisy neighbours", she had a result.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/family-to-be-evicted-after-400-complaints-made-by-neighbours-2060241.html
    Up to 400 complaints have been received by gardai about the anti-social behaviour of a Dublin family, a judge heard yesterday.
    Dublin City Council was given permission at Dublin Circuit Court yesterday to put its tenants -- the O'Hare family -- out of their council home at 59 Berryfield Road, Finglas, Dublin.
    However, Circuit Court President Mr Justice Matthew Deery granted Paula O'Hare, who lives in the house with her daughter Sabrina, a stay of two months before the council moves in to repossess the rented property.
    The court heard the council was looking for a warrant for possession on the grounds that Mrs O'Hare and "members of the household" had engaged in anti-social behaviour.
    The application had initially been made last December but Judge Deery had asked for detailed evidence to ensure the council was not "capriciously or whimsically" seeking legal termination of the tenancy.
    *Convictions*
    The court was told there had been between 300 and 400 complaints made to gardai about members of the O'Hare family.
    There were also 196 convictions obtained in court against four members of the family, mainly for road traffic offences.
    City Housing Manager Michael Clarke said complaints, including alleged threatening behaviour and harassment of neighbours, went back as far as 1998.
    In turn Mrs O'Hare had complained to the council that gardai were constantly harassing members of her family.
    The judge said he had heard evidence of a garda search of the house in which ecstasy and other tablets had been found.
    "It is a sad state of affairs but the evidence is very compelling.
    "There has been substantial difficulty encountered in the area in relation to the children in particular that has been amply set out ... in evidence," the judge said.
    - Ray Managh
    Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I will probably have to go to the PRTB as last resort, but i have a TD trying to sort something out at the moment, so will let you know how i get on with that.
    I did have a look at the PRTB's Website and it looked pretty complicated & a long process, and if their is any meet with the tenants i would not like to do that, as they are a of nasty breed...

Hi :)

I know exactly what you are going through, have you had a look on the PRTB register to see if the landlord or property is registered, I got the landlords details from that. Have you a management company that you can go to?

Have you contacted a community guard because the guard we had really helped us and was most friendly. Are you renting? if so, go & speak to your landlord, he could really push this.

Get on to the county council as well, they can help you in issues like this. If you do go via the courts, try and get some evidence, maybe like a phone recording so that they can hear how bad the noise is.

Hope you get good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

angel01 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I know exactly what you are going through, have you had a look on the PRTB register to see if the landlord or property is registered, I got the landlords details from that. .

hi angel01 i was on the PRTB website and have found the house im looking for but cant find the landlords details , did you have to ask the PRTB for these or are they available on line?
    im guessing they are not made public and only available on request but maybe im missing something
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SUNGOD wrote: »
    im guessing they are not made public and only available on request but maybe im missing something
    Correct. Talk to the PRTB and explain what you are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

SUNGOD wrote: »
    hi angel01 i was on the PRTB website and have found the house im looking for but cant find the landlords details , did you have to ask the PRTB for these or are they available on line?
    thanks

Give them a ring, you will have to end up writing a letter and explaining your situation and they will give you the landlords details by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Jeez I really feel for you as I too had to deal with the exact same issue.
    Total scumbags living next to me & at times I thought they would lead me to have a nervous breakdown.
    It got so bad, house was broken into and car stolen and loads of trauma that I couldn't take it any longer.

I got in contact with the PRTB and had to draft a letter to the manager stating why I needed the landlords details.
    And in fairness I got a very speedy response to my letter.
    Then I actually went to a solicitor and she drafted a letter to the landlord stating the issues and total anti social behaviour I had encountered.
    Thankfully they responded and within two weeks the animals were gone....it has truely been the best thing I have ever done....
    We'll to be fair it was my lovely boyfriend who gave the strength to go ahead with it as I was at my wits ends.

I actually had to move out of my house for approx 6 wks while all of this was going on for fear of retribution...it's f*cked up!

To Millie,
    I am in the exact same situation, although nothing has been robbed yet!!!
    I know exactly who their landlord is, but he won't do anything for me, all he is interested in is his money from Social Welfare every month. I will have to move out for a couple of months & really put the pressure on as i cannot live beside these people any longer it is driving me crazy!!!

I think the idea of getting a solicitor to draft a letter to the landlord stating everything thats happened from the time they moved in might help, but can only do this if i am not living their as for FEAR OF RETRIBUTION...
    Its a strange world we live in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 myselfie

hit him where it hurts... in the pocket. collect all the evidence you have, go to solictor and sue the landlord for the damages caused to yourself. get a doctors letter saying how it has affected your health... etc

I like the idea but what if the Landlord's wife is a solicitor?

jessbud wrote: »
    We ended up selling up and moving and they stayed on there for another 3 years. When they moved out eventually the landlord had to gut the house, serves him right and now he can't rent it out at all...

Can i ask how you managed to sell your house with those neighbours their at the time?

myselfie wrote: »
    hit him where it hurts... in the pocket. collect all the evidence you have, go to solictor and sue the landlord for the damages caused to yourself. get a doctors letter saying how it has affected your health... etc

You cant sue a landlord for damages becasue his tennents are social cancers.

Should be able to... the tenants make my life a misery, the landlord should have some respect for himself & for his own property.
    If we lived in the states i could sue for trillions...

Should be able to... the tenants make my life a misery, the landlord should have some respect for himself & for his own property.

OK your annoyed but lets not get irrational here. What will you suggest next ? You should be able to sue the parents of the tennants for having the children, you should be able to sue the midwife for helping give birth to the tennants.

Some things are unfair but lets not suggest we should get into a litigious situation thats just plain stupid like the US

Well said...
    I can tell you who i would like to sue the State for giving people with no jobs & NO INTENTION OF EVER GETTING A JOB free rent, Its crazy!!!

I pay my tax's and mortgage but for what for the government to give it back to scumbags to live next door to me who dont even bother getting dressed
    eg...wear pyjama's all day and wreck my head, its a very flawed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

A friend of mine has a psycho neighbor who is trying to get them evicted by the PRTB after having 1 party!!

Ok it was pretty noisy for the one night but they have been living there a few years now and only very occasionally make noise.

They get on well with the landlord who is aware that that the neighbor is a bit of a nut.

Surely they can't be forced out of their home in only a few days because of this complaint? My friends are really scared and upset about the threatening letter they have recieved from the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Those who are needing the help of PTRB... Threshold will do the paperwork and advocacy stuff..

• Advertisement

OP is incorrect...please review my earlier posts...you're only effective course of action is to take a case as a 3rd party, against the landlord for breaching his obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 in respect of the anti-social behaviour of his tenants. You can in fact be awarded damages/compensation by the Adjudicator as well as a legally enforceable order on the landlord to terminate the tenancy. Contact PRTB, complete application form, pay fee €25 and ask for case to be fast-tracked due to your circumstances. Tenants have Threshold to help them, landlords have IPOA and others, as a 3rd party, you have no-one that I can think of. The Act is complex but if you're desperate for advice, feel free to PM your no. if you want and I'll talk you through it.

Advertisement