Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting a Media Player Drive

Options
  • 04-02-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hope this is posted in the right place.

A friend has come to me with his Lacie Cinema Classic, thinking I know the answer........however I don't but hopefully someone here does.

Anyway he has a Lacie Cinema Classic HD Media drive (came as FAT32) and he had some files over 4gb he wanted to copy onto it but FAT32 doesn't support these, so he changed to NTFS in some way without having to reformat the drive.
    He then copied his files, them only after all this he decided to check the spec on the drive and found that it doesn't support FAT32 :rolleyes:. However when it is plugged into a computer the files are visible and you can play them or do what you want with them, I am assuming that the HD itself supports NTFS but it is the playback of them on the media player built in that is only FAT32. I told him to try it anyway, and I havent heard back as of yet so I dont know if it works but I doubt it.

Anyway the question is if he reverts back to FAT32 and has to delete everything and reformat, will the software for playing the movies be deleted too and render this as just a normal HD? or what can be done?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I will bet it is working if you can see the files on it.

It is most likely the 'software' to play the media is in firmware or ROM. That software will not care in the slightest what file system is on the disc, just so long as the HD controller can read it and serve up the data.

Advertisement