Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Training

• 04-02-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

New on boards and would appreciate a bit of advice here. 33 years old, and haven't really done any great physical activity since giving up the hurling in 04.
    In December myself and a friend of mine decided to aim for a marathon in October to help get back in shape just to have a personal target for the year.

So far I have being running a few km every 2/3 nights in the gym, trying to build up a bit of strength in the legs again. Am I fooling myself on the threadmill and should I just take the plunge and start running outdoors. My only fear with this approach is the last few times I've ran outdoors, I've ended up crippled, and the runners go back on the shelf. I am planning on running in the park on Saturday, is there any recommended warmups I could do, as it is normally my shins that kill me, or just grin and bear it, and stick with it and it will sort itself of in time.

Apologies if I'm rambling a bit here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Hey there welcome to the world of running. In respect of treadmills compared to the roads there is a world of difference, however if you are finding running on the road is leading to injuries you could try running on the grass if there are an good fields or pitches near by.

If you are find you do get alot of injuries when you do get into running you might want to get checked out by a physio to make sure everything is ok before you start into it serious. They will also be able to show you the proper stretches for any areas that do get particularly sore. Injuries with the shins are common enough such as shin splints, it can sometimes be down to the runners you wear or the fact the muscles are just not used to the exercise. But again a physio of some sort would be best to advise you really.

If you are looking to get back into shape its also probably a good idea to get into doing some core work, there are plenty of different exercises you can do which you will find with a quick google search or by looking around here. I also think its a good idea to do stretching even if you are not doing running that day. Find it keeps the body nice and limber.

Anyway best of luck with your training OP and take it easy getting back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe start by alternating walking and running, and run more slowly. There's no rush, better to build up steadily than push yourself too fast and get injured or discouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

My only fear with this approach is the last few times I've ran outdoors, I've ended up crippled, and the runners go back on the shelf. I am planning on running in the park on Saturday, is there any recommended warmups I could do, as it is normally my shins that kill me, or just grin and bear it, and stick with it and it will sort itself of in time.

Like Ray said.

Don't go crazy for the first few weeks hitting the road every night - this will probably lead to injury (and the "runners back on the shelf").
    Ease yourself in slowly 2/3 times a week with alternate running /walking.
    Run on grass whenever you can.
    Don't wear GAA gear when running - you're an athlete now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

eliwallach wrote: »
    Don't wear GAA gear when running - you're an athlete now.

:D Great quote! But seriously, most important piece of kit for running is the runners. Get yourself fitted properly if you can, if not then seek the best advice you can find and don't necessarily feel like you have to buy in any one place because they push you into a pair...

As for starting out, a program that is often pimped here and which has worked for lots of people (including myself) is the Couch-to-5k, this keeps it interesting and provides a measurable result but avoids doing too much too soon which will cause you to hate running...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Thanks all for the advice.

The Gaa gear is long gone, probably be arrested for indecency if i throw on those shorts again.

Regarding runners where can you go to get some decent advice on runners, as there doesn't sem to be much out there apart from the likes of Lifestyle or Champion, and no offence to them but I wouldn't be asking their staff for advice. Currently have a pair of Asics but in need of upgrading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

runways on parnell street or amphibian king in bray.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

there doesn't sem to be much out there apart from the likes of Lifestyle or Champion, and no offence to them but I wouldn't be asking their staff for advice.

Plenty of offence to them - they pose as sports shops but are really fashion superstores for (now, how shall I put this.....*ponders carefully*.....) Chavs, skangers, norries & creamers.

Judging by your username Wexican, you are based in the Southeast - I don't know that area too well (anymore). but I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction of a half-decent running shop in Wexford or Waterford.
    Alternatively http://www.johnbuckleysports.com/ (based in Cork) do an on-line store including running shoes.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If you're Wexford based check out My Sport on Castle St in Enniscorthy, haven't used them before but apparently they do Gait analysis...

Otherwise if you're prepared for a little more travelling, check out Amphibian King in Bray, Runways on Parnell St in Dublin or even Elvery's on Suffolk St in Dublin who have a reasonable selection of running shoes...

Actually exiled up in Dublin from Wexford. Might take a look at the one on Parnell street, next time in town.
    Headed out to the Phoenix park this morning used the couch to 5k as a guide but jumped on a few weeks. Did a little over 5k in 33 minutes, and feeling ok after.

Hope to do it again tomorrow, though we'll see how we feel after the rugby this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You should really try to take a rest day in between each run. Running two days in a row is much more demanding

• Advertisement

Right have had a couple of run outs since my last post. The Nokia Sports Tracker on the Nokia E71, is a great bit of kit, for keeping track of your times and distances.

My runs to date

6/2 - 5.5km 35 min
    7/2 - 6 km - 35 min
    10/2 - 6km - 35 min
    11/2 - 6km -35 min

For the above there was a bit of walking in the middle

13/2 - 17km 2hours
    The fact I locked myself out of the house was the main factor and had to kill two hours. Ran the the first 10k in an hour without too many stops and was pretty pleased with that after about 12 the distance hit me, and only ran sporadicaly for then - Managed to get my first blister, and was in agony Sunday and Monday.

16/2 - 6km 35 minutes did about 3k at a pace of about 5.30 per km, and another three at the 6 minute mark. The aim is to do an average of 5.30 per km before the St Patricks 5km in March

Advertisement