Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Badminton in Kilcock or Clane

Options
  • 04-02-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello all,
    Does anyone know if there's a Badminton Club in Kilcock?
    I really want to get back into playing and would love to join somewhere local. I don't know many people in the area so I think it'd be a good way to meet people aswell as getting back to enjoying the sport.
    If there are any other clubs nearby and anyone has any info on them that'd be great too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

There are two badminton clubs in Kilcock as far as I know. One plays in the GAA club and the other in what I can only describe as an old converted church with a court.

Not sure if there is still one in Clane.

Leinster Badminton should have all the clubs in the province listed on their website.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Penny21

Thanks a million Tristram, I will definitely try them.
    The GAA Club would be very handy as I live right next door :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Will you let us know what you find out.
    I'm in kilcock as well, but i do shift work so it's hard to find out about these things.
    I used to play for my school back in the day and wouldn't mind getting into it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Penny21

Hi Megapixel,
    Thanks to Tristram, I got in touch with Kilcock GAA club who tell me that the Badminton Club meets every Monday & Thursday Nights 9pm-11pm.
    They said that they're always looking for new members and they'd help me work on my rusty badminton skills. They also suggested I head over before any of the sessions and have a chat with the members about joining.
    I'm thrilled that there's a local club as I live right next door, I'm just raging I didn't know about it sooner.
    They don't seem to advertise themselves.
    Hope this helps :-) oh and thanks to Tristram for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hi Penny,

Do you know are the 9pm-11pm classes adult only? Also, do you have to have your own racket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mariah7

hey penny, i live in kilcock too and would love to join a club, i was just wondering do you have any contact details like a name and phone number and what is the age group there? thank - you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

Hi Mariah,

I used to play in the Badminton club at Kilcock GAA. It was a seniors club and very beginner friendly. The age range was very wide from early 20s up to spritely senior citizens so it was a good mix.

I looked into rejoining last autumn but the main hall was being prioritised for functions so the badminton club decided that it couldn't continue playing there that year. :( I haven't been in touch since then so I don't know if its moved elsewhere or if the members have now joined up with other clubs.

You have put the idea in my mind to get back playing again so I've sent a text to the chap that used to run the club in Kilcock and will post back here if I find out anything.

Here's a few links to contacts in the meantime that may be able to point you on the right direction.

Kilcock GAA clubhouse - 01-628 7977. This is the number for booking the playing hall and they should be able to tell you if it's being used again for badminton and when. I rang earlier but got no answer so must not be open yet today.

Kildare Badminton clubs list and contact details. There's a second club listed here for Kilcock which may still be running.

Leinster Badminton - list of clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

I'd be interested if ye get something organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is there any club in maynooth for general public?
    i know there is one for students only in NUI

Just got word back from my contact that the badminton club is still running at Kilcock GAA on Monday and Thursday nights from 9pm although he isn't around himself this year.

I rang the GAA clubhouse to cross check and they confirmed it is still running after a bit of asking around. They advised that it's starting at around 9.20pm during the summer though.

I'll pop along this Monday night to check it out and see what the story is. I'll post back here if there's anything new to report.

• Advertisement

Hi, just a quick update. I wasn't able to get to Kilcock GAA club Mon evening so will be Thursday before I get to confirm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

pmq71: did you play badminton in kilcock last week?

can you please share your experience as i am interested too?

i have a suggestion, if few of us here are interested in badminton, we can book the hall in NUIM for an hour every week and play.

Didn't get down there last week so plan to check it out this evening. I think it may wind down over the summer anyway. If it is I'd be happy to go for the hall booking option.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Theres one in Celbridge also.

Went down to Kilcock GAA club last night and happy to report the badminton club is alive and well there and got a couple of good games in. Most of the players have headed off on their holidays for the summer so there was only one court operating last night. Usually there would be 20+ players there during the year with all 4 courts in use. They use a timer and name tag system to make sure everyone gets the same game time and they mix up the names each time so everyone gets to know everyone else which works very well. They also enter teams for those that want to play in competition with other clubs at whatever skill level you are at. The leagues don't start until late Sept/Oct so you have time to decide if you want to join a team or just play for fun. I've found the club to be very good for both beginners and experienced players. I expecially like the high roof so there is no restriction on the shots you can play. Next Monday is the last night before they close up for the summer and will restart around 15th August on Monday and Thursday nights 9-11pm.

I asked about booking the hall for games over the summer but it can't be done unfortunately as the GAA club's insurance wouldn't cover it. I'd say most clubs elsewhere close up over the summer as well. I'm around over the summer so booking a hall in Maynooth once a week would suit me until the club opens again. I'd be happy to play at another club for the summer months if I hear of one that is staying open.

I'll be at Kilcock GAA next Monday night if anyone wants to drop down to play a game or two and see the facilities and meet some of the players. Ladies are especially welcome as they are looking to balance the numbers. Start time is from 9.30 onwards. Would be a good opportunity to make arrangements for games elsewhere over the summer as well.

Hope to see you there.

P

I thought I would give this thread a timely bump.

The badminton club at Kilcock GAA hall will be starting for the new season on Thursday 1st Sept.

The club runs from 9-11pm on Monday and Thursday nights. New and existing members are all welcome.

You can contact the badminton club organiser on 086-3762656 or drop me a PM for more details.

/P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

pmq71 wrote: »
    I thought I would give this thread a timely bump.

The badminton club at Kilcock GAA hall will be starting for the new season on Thursday 1st Sept.

The club runs from 9-11pm on Monday and Thursday nights. New and existing members are all welcome.

You can contact the badminton club organiser on 086-3762656 or drop me a PM for more details.

/P

Dont forget Celbridge runs all year including summer, Wednesdays and Fridays 9pm at Celbridge Mill

Can just pop down and play, getting about 14-18 people at the moment of all levels

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redzobo

theres one in Naas too (at the GAA), you can contact them and find out all the details on their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rye Rhythm

Just wondering if the badminton club is still going on? When I saw these posts I went up to kilcock gaa 2nite about 9.30 & there was no sign of anyone so maybe it's already finished for the summer? Really want to get back playing again so would love to know when & where as I work evenings during the school year & would like to keep an evening free from September for badminton if possible!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redzobo

Hi - the naas club has finished for the summer but will resume the first week in sept, mondays 8-10 and thursdays 9-11, just pop down then

• Advertisement

Kilcock club had finished for the summer too and will be back in Sept. Mon and Thursday nights at 9.30.

The Kilcock Badminton club is open again. New members of all abilities are very welcome.

Monday and Thursday from 9.30pm to 11pm in the GAA hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I hope it's okay to post here rather than starting a new thread.
    Did ye get sorted with the badminton in Kilcock? Do they play competetively? How many courts do they have?
    Any badminton clubs in Maynooth?

Advertisement