Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 - Backup+Restore to different PC?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just wondering is this possible?

My friend bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it and doesn't like it, so I'm putting XP SP3 onto it for him. He got no install discs with the laptop so when I format the drive it will erase everything. Anyway I like Windows 7 so wanna transfer it onto my desktop computer (his licensed version) before I delete it off his laptop. Is this possible and will it raise any licensing issues? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

Forgot to mention it is Windows 7 Premium

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You need to check the licences on his computer, as well as your own - if either of them are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) licences ie provided preinstalled with the computers (usually with a "Genuine Windows" sticker somewhere on the case) the licence is tied to the computer it ships with and you can't legally swap it.

In the event that you cant swap the licences or operating systems, your friend should talk to whoever sold him the laptop - it may be possible to swap it for a version with a downgrade to XP option.

Advertisement