Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills

Options
  • 03-02-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

hey just wanna ask if theres any students or any ppl that are sharing houses there and what are the average bills they pay...our landlord lately has started to charge us 70 to 80 euro a month...between 4 of us thats alot...we got ESB GAS BINS TV LICENCE AND UPC Cheapest Cable TV+ Ultra Broadband...just that 320 for bills of one month seems 2 much...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ask for a copy of the bills. You're entitled to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

we were thinking of that but like dont wanna look like eejits if we do get them and their the same price...thats why i posted this trying to find out if every1 is paying same...arent most of the bills payed in a certain period? like esb every few months or so and same for gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

My effort at a rough calculation

* E100 for ESB + E75 for gas (in winter months)
    * cable+broadband (dunno)
    * bins (E96 per year + E6 per lift for a 240 litre bin in Dublin city council = E30 per month on a basis of fortnightly collections)
    * TV licence (E160 per year = E13.33 per month)

In fairness though, based on my experience of living in student houseshares and young adult houseshares, most people have no concept of how much utilities cost. Heating and immersion on continuously, no effort at recycling etc

The only way to know for certain is to ask for copies of the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP sounds about right maybe a little high, but you should ask for the bills

Rough estimate

ESB €80 - €100 depending on how concious you are if you leave things like the immersion on, use a dryer often etc could be more

NTL Basic and Internet €60 approx

Gas €50 - 70 depending on use.

TV Licence €13

Bins €30

You could find you ESB is really high or your gas. Students tend to have no idea of the cost of utilities and leave the heat on constantly, leave things like the TV switched on and other appliances in standby etc

Anyway the only way to be sure is to ask for the bins

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Gas bill could have easily been 200 quid, even with sensible enough usage given the cold weather. Maybe a good bit more if its a big poorly insulated house.

I'd say its most likely though that the meters were read recently and a discrepency in the bills was found, so you get a big shocker bill! Either that or some of your housemates have a secret server farm or cannabis plantation on the go in the house :D ....or of course your landlord could be a robbin' bastard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

we were thinking of that but like dont wanna look like eejits if we do get them and their the same price.
    No, its the other way around. Its the people who pay without seeing the bill are the fools. Would you pay €320 in a restaurant without seeing the bill?
    thats why i posted this trying to find out if every1 is paying same
    Everybody pays different, because everyone's circumstances are different.

ESB and Gas tend to be every second month. Most of the others tend to be monthly.

Make sure you aren't paying someone else's arrears or someone else's bill, e.g. if the landlord has use of part of the premises.

D3PO wrote: »
    OP sounds about right maybe a little high, but you should ask for the bills

Rough estimate

ESB €80 - €100 depending on how concious you are if you leave things like the immersion on, use a dryer often etc could be more

NTL Basic and Internet €60 approx

Gas €50 - 70 depending on use.

TV Licence €13

Bins €30

You could find you ESB is really high or your gas. Students tend to have no idea of the cost of utilities and leave the heat on constantly, leave things like the TV switched on and other appliances in standby etc

Anyway the only way to be sure is to ask for the bins

well tbh we dont have the heating on for the whole day...most of us are in college all day so usually nothing gets used till about 5 o'clock till every1 comes home...anyway ill have to ask her for the bills...it just seems 2 much...wouldnt mind 50 or 60 like the first few months but 80 is quite alot :S like when you think 320 for the whole month...that sounds insane!

well tbh we dont have the heating on for the whole day...most of us are in college all day so usually nothing gets used till about 5 o'clock till every1 comes home...anyway ill have to ask her for the bills...it just seems 2 much...wouldnt mind 50 or 60 like the first few months but 80 is quite alot :S like when you think 320 for the whole month...that sounds insane!

Not really Id estimate my average bills for what you called out would run to an average of 280 a month and theres only 2 of us living in the house.

So I can easily understand how a bill of 320 for 4 persons could happen

yeah but like sure theres no1 at home all the time and bills are retarded high...i come back at 4...the rest goes back around 6...watch some tv and cook dinner...thats about it :) just seems 2 much seeing that we do so little usage...

yeah well thats real life for you.

Dont forget all the loads put into the washing machine, possible dryer use, dishwasher, 4 uses of the electric shower every day, perhaps you have storage heaters, maybe the immersion is left on. probably more than 1 tv going at a time, probably laptops going aswell if your students etc etc.

you may think its high but its no higher than epected for the utilities your using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anything that heats, especially heats water, will use electricity.

If you can, run washing machines, dryers, immersion etc at night when you'll be take advantage of the nightsaver rate (assuming that you have a night saver meter installed).

I do all my washing at night and it saves a small fortune as opposed to running the machine during the day. I just set the time so that the cycle completes about an hour before I get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

My last 2monthly ESB bill was €125 - there's 2 of us in the house and the heating is gas. I'm going around now switching lights off and never have tv or computer on standby. Am gradually changing over to the eco lightbulbs. Oh, we never use the immersion cos we have an electric shower, and generally avoid use of the dryer cos we have space to hang clothes to dry over the unused bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Sounds a little too high to me OP.

Ive lived and taken care of bills in rented accomadation for years. and 320 a month for everything sounds too much.

Ask for a copy of the bill for Gas and ESB. The annual cost of Bins/tv licence and UPC are constant and can be easily worked out and gotten online.

It is possibly you have a house mate who is a bit nuts with the immersion/heating/drier.

Advertisement