Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom netopia 2247nwg bridge mode work?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

newbie to the boards, but long time lurker. Taking the plunge.

I have an eircom netopia 2247nwg that I want to put into bridge mode. The reason is I have an old Cisco PIX 506e that I want to use (train) as a firewall instead. The idea is to configure the PIX to get out with PPPOE over the 2247. As far as I understand there is nothing wrong with that.

However either my understanding or the 2247 is letting me down!

I configure the 2247 to connect with "RFC-1483 bridged ethernet LLC/SNAP" and set bridging to "enable" and reboot. To test, I plug a vista laptop into ethernet port 1 and run the "setup a connection" network wizard and configure a broadband PPPOE connection with the username eircom@eircom.net and the password broadband1. No luck, there is no response from anywhere.

From the same laptop, I then connect to the 2247 wireless interface, and I can access it's web interface. I confirm my settings are still in place, they are, and then test the PPPOE connection again. This time it works and I get an eircom IP address for the connection. However, the PPPOE responses come across the wireless link, not the ethernet link!!!!

That's no good, the PIX will have to work on an ethernet port. I did test it, and it had the same none response as the vista laptop.

I don't get it, I did not think the 2247 wireless would be able to get out - the device should be in bridge mode and not be able to route the 192.168.1.n subnet out?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I configure the 2247 to connect with "RFC-1483 bridged ethernet LLC/SNAP" and set bridging to "enable" and reboot. To test, I plug a vista laptop into ethernet port 1 and run the "setup a connection" network wizard and configure a broadband PPPOE connection with the username eircom@eircom.net and the password broadband1

Dont set the bridging to "enable"
    Just change the dropdown to RFC-1483 bridged ethernet LLC/SNAP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi,

THis is how I put a netopia into bridge mode:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60891130&postcount=12

What is you IOS config?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

Pimp Ninja - Thanks - That worked first time!

The 2247's front panal's Internet light shows red, but I guess that's to be expected. I guess there are very few high level functions still operating at this low level.

Dardania - it's a PIX 506E with version 6.3(5). Quite old, but way out of support, so I'm cool with it.

Thanks all!

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Id expect the internet light to either be red or off.
    It is basically a PPPoE indicator light, so when the router is bridged its not doing PPPoE :)

Advertisement