Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supply in Carlow

Options
  • 03-02-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know if the burrin is used for drinking water in carlow? the reason i ask is that last friday someone i know reported a dead sheep stuck on the weir on the burrin river at the bus park in town and it is still there afaik despite the litter warden seeing it.

my friends main concern was the water supply so should she report this again or is it a case of there is no danger of water cantamination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

I'm pretty sure all Carlow Town's water comes from the Slaney.

edit: actually Slaney and the Burrin - http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/EPI-Insight/Volume82007/File,2153,en.PDF (first page)

Might be worth dropping them a call in the morning.

kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

koregan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all Carlow Town's water comes from the Slaney.

edit: actually Slaney and the Burrin - http://www.hpsc.ie/hpsc/EPI-Insight/Volume82007/File,2153,en.PDF (first page)

Might be worth dropping them a call in the morning.

kevin
    the carcas is still stuck on the weir at the bus park and my friend is going to contact the nationalist as leaving a dead animal in the water like that cant be very healthy?

she said the council are aware of it since last friday afternoon when a call was made to the offices about this and she saw the litter warden drive down and get out of his van to look at it! then he drove off so maybe it does not require any action?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the carcas is still stuck on the weir at the bus park and my friend is going to contact the nationalist as leaving a dead animal in the water like that cant be very healthy?

she said the council are aware of it since last friday afternoon when a call was made to the offices about this and she saw the litter warden drive down and get out of his van to look at it! then he drove off so maybe it does not require any action?

I'm not sure if this would come under the scope of the Council's litter warden or the HSE's environment health officer. Whoever it was I doubt he would have dragged it out there and then, H&S would require he wear suitable protective gear and it may be unsafe for him to get at it from the river bank, at least while he is on his own.

BTW, we can all relax, there's absolutely no risk to the drinking water supply from that carcass. The Burrin water is extracted about 3km upstream at Sion Cross while the other source is the Slaney at Rathvilly. It's what's in the water upstream from these sources is what we should really worry about :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it is not as urgent then as not affecting our water supply, but if it starts to smell local residents might have more to say about it not being removed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Whats the reservoir in Killeshin for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It used to supply the town with water back in the day, not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

super-rush wrote: »
    It used to supply the town with water back in the day, not anymore.

I always wondered about it!! Thanks :)

Advertisement