Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee Contracts - Change of mind

Options
  • 03-02-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I'm wondering has anyone signed a trainee contract and then been offered a contract with a different firm which would suit them better. I signed a contract for nxt Autumn but recieved another offer in the mean time which I would much prefer to take. As it is a contract I am wondering am I under any legal obligation? Any advice from people who have been in this situation or anyone else who may know greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Hey,

All depends on the firm really. I signed a contract with a firm and was made an offer from another firm after it. I explained that due to personal circumstances I would no longer be able to take up the position and then signed with the second offer. I didnt mention I had another offer, but they did ask had I received a better offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Yeah, there's usually no problem with it. Just ring the HR department as soon as you can so that they can potentially make an offer to someone else.

They might ask you your reasons for changing your mind and if they do its entirely up to yourself how much information you give them in that regard.

Officially the acceptance contract is not actually finalised until you start working with the firm. By this stage of the year the firm wouldn't of paid any funds to the institute, I'm assuming you're starting in October next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daz_flan

Thanks for the input folks, just have to decide how much I want to tell them so before I make the phonecall. Not as worried as I was now. Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I imagine it happens all the time as they hire so far in advance of other firms.

Advertisement