Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Partitioning Q

Options
  • 03-02-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Okay starting to doubt myself but to clarify this,

If i create a partition in vista, back up my data to that partition, format the other partition and reinstall windows 7, my data should be safe?

Are there any other steps i need to take?

Thanks,

Req

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

requiem1 wrote: »
    Okay starting to doubt myself but to clarify this,
    If i create a partition in vista, back up my data to that partition, format the other partition and reinstall windows 7, my data should be safe?
    Are there any other steps i need to take?
    Thanks,
    Req

Your data should be just fine.

Are you keeping your bookmarks? Don't forget to export them to back them up.
    Don't forget about your "Documents" other inner folders "Music", etc...

When your doing the transfer of your files, I would suggest that you copy them over first - not "cut and paste" as soon folk do.
    Errors can happen in transfer by the latter method so to "copy" them over and then confirm that they have done so successfully, is sometimes a small but wise precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Thanks mate, I was having a moment where my mind wasn't working straight and needed clarification.

Might do that this weekend after I sort out my motherboard

Cheers

Req:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

requiem1 wrote: »
    Thanks mate, I was having a moment where my mind wasn't working straight and needed clarification.

Might do that this weekend after I sort out my motherboard

Cheers

Req:D

Your process sounds good - I'd strongly encourage you to use the Windows Easy Transfer utility to export your Vista profile to that partition and then re-import it when you've got Win7 installed, will make it much easier than having to manually reconfigure everything and move your files around.

Advertisement