Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win7 keys interchangeable?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

A friend bought a laptop and was having awful trouble with it and the internet. I installed the 32bit version of win7 ultimate on his PC to see if it was a Vista problem as he'd sent the computer back for repair and it came back suffering from the same problems.

Win7 works perfectly on it but now it's complaining about a key because I'd already installed the 64bit version of Win7 on my PC using the same key. He now want's to get a license for win7.

If he goes out and buys Win7 in the shop can he use that key on the version already installed or will he need to reinstall? The other problem is it's the ultimate version and I don't see him paying for that, at most he'd need premium. So I guess that would mean a reinstall anyway?

I just want to know is there anyway of making the copy legal without a reinstall?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You should be able to do this through the System Properties window - there's a "Change Product Key" option. I haven't tried this myself but my understanding of the new structure is that you can upgrade or downgrade any given installation so long as you have the full installation media and a valid key for the version you want to switch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm trying to find that now but can't see it and it's not coming up with the search. It would be perfect if they could do it that way. Although I'm doing that from my own activated copy not on his PC.

EDIT: Found it, it's under system and security > system at the bottom of the page. It gives the option to enter a new key but according to the help you'd have to buy the exact same version of windows and use that key, there;'s no option to downgrade so it looks like a clean install of premium for him unless he wants to go for ultimate but I don't think there's much point in doing that.

Advertisement