Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for thoughts on a pretty basic website

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm helping a mate out by re-designing a web-site, the only thing being my web-design skills are pretty lacking so I tried to go for a pretty basic design that was easy to make.

Here's the current one.

Here's the re-design, it's not finished yet.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on anything I could/should do different/better. The brief is that the website doesn't have to be anything special just something so get the customers to get in contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

In my FF3.6 window (which is not maximised), the text in the centre columns overlaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Thanks for that, I changed it a little, is it slightly better now (just the index page)? If the window is small enough it still gets a little messed up, but not as quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sorry to say this, but I'd nearly prefer the original (with maybe a few tweaks re font sizes, etc)

There's no navigation menu on the second one, for a start.

Ok thats fair, what else about it?

Do you think a menu under the logo would work? Do you just not like the whole click through the pictures approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I did not get past the first page Im afraid - screeshot of site in IE8 on my standard resolution (1280x1024) shown. The layout is too BIG for me. Lots of the internal links point to google but I assume that is WIP.

• Advertisement

Ok, I as per the suggestions I changed it round a bit... well, a lot. Does this look any better? Any problems in other browsers? (It's just the homepage at this stage)

Linky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

gerry87 wrote: »
    Ok thats fair, what else about it?

Do you think a menu under the logo would work? Do you just not like the whole click through the pictures approach?

It's not a question of liking (or, for that matter, of me) - it's a question of usability and orientation.

If someone can't find their way around, they'll either (a) keep trying or (b) give up and leave.

And unless they're adamant that they really, really, really want your services (and sure that no-one else can offer them) they'll choose (b).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'm having difficulty reading the grey text on the grey background. Pls up the contrast a good bit.

The header has a bit too much height imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Honestly, I think you should just buy a simple clean basic template and modify that. The new design isn't better enough to warrant the change, and you'll get better, more professional results buying a cheap template and customising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

p wrote: »
    Honestly, I think you should just buy a simple clean basic template and modify that. The new design isn't better enough to warrant the change, and you'll get better, more professional results buying a cheap template and customising it.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

id say go back to the original and change the fonts and upgrate the image quality.

Advertisement