Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending in America

Options
  • 03-02-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

do laser cards work over there?

Just wondering is it best to get dollars cash or just to spend using a laser / credit card over there?

sorry for the stupid questions - never been to the US before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It will cost you about 3-4euro each time you use your card, credit cards don't charge, if you have a positive balance. Dollars are risky because you can get robbed and be left with nothing. How long are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

You will be able to withdraw money from your account if you have a cirrus/maestro sign on it but you will be charged everytime you do so. Laser cards will not be accepted as debit cards over there. Best bet is to top up your credit card and just use that as it will be accepted everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Thank you :)
    My concern about topping up a credit card in advance is that I was told before by the credit card company that the money you put on it will not be covered in the case that someone stole your card?
    I have a cirrus / maestro card so that is good to know I can withdraw funds with it. My boyfriend has neither so is trying to decide if he should get a credit card or a laser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rather than carry about a wad of US dollars, part of your monies could be placed in American Express Traveler's Checks, which are insured should they be lost of stolen. Make sure that you write down all the serial numbers of your checks, and keep this list in a place separate from the checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

If you are getting travel checks book them early - I went in today to get some as I am moving to the US and they didnt have any - they said people dont really use them anymore, and that I should just top up my credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I have an AIB laser debit card and credit card and I had no problem using them. As mentioned above there is no charge to use your credit card. But there is a fee to use your debit card either withdrawing or at a POS. It is usually a percentage of the transaction or a flat charge-whichever is lesser. Just check your T and C's of your particular card.

I didn't find the charges particularly excessive and I was withdrawing large amounts at times, ($600) for rent and stuff. I don't think it's wise to carry large amounts of money around unnecessarily, so using the cards is convenient-even with charges.

Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Probably a stupid question but when talking about loading up the credit card are we talking about withdrawing money from an atm using the card or is it just to avoid fees while using it normally?

If you use it normally you're not charged anything extra. But if you use it in an atm they charge you a cash advance fee. However, if you make the balance positive on the account then you can take money out for free. Well the bank in Ireland won't charge you but the machine in the USA may. They will inform you beforehand though. Chase don't charge when I use my credit card in their atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you use your credit or debit card at an ATM in the States (that is a different bank than the card issuer), you will be charged a fee. Your own bank may also charge you a fee, so you must stay up with the fine print that applies to your card. Banks in the States have gotten fee crazy since the Great Recession, so make sure you read the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Some credit cards DO charge. Mine is a Visa with PTSB and charges something like 1.5% as a currency conversion charge on all purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Pythia wrote: »
    Some credit cards DO charge. Mine is a Visa with PTSB and charges something like 1.5% as a currency conversion charge on all purchases.

I'm with PTSB and mine is the same. It's not just as simple as the currency conversion fee though, other banks don't have a seperate fee but some build it into the exchange rate they give you which may make it more expensive than a card with an explicit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Credit cards always charge a cash advance fee, even if you're using an Irish credit card in an Irish ATM. ATM's in the US have a per use charge unless you're with the bank who owns the ATM (which you won't be with an Irish card), plus you'll get charged an exchange fee by your Irish bank.

Using a credit card to pay for things directly is the cheapest way, there's normally no fees (my experience is with an AIB Mastercard) and the exchange rate is always better than a cash exchange rate. In short using cash in foreign currencies is the most expensive way to pay for things (although unless you're spending a lot of money it won't be a huge difference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When I went I took a bit of cash for the day to day things but loaded up the credit card before I went too. I'm never too comfortable carrying large sums of money around with me. The exchange rate was slightly better on the card if I remember but nothing to get excited about. They seem pretty relaxed when it comes to card security though, don't think I even saw a chip and pin machine in Boston. They just swipe the card and hand it back to you before even checking the signature.

Yea they don't have chip and pin over here, I got asked that the chip bit of my card was a few times! They just started using the PIN numbers for debit transactions alright, in large stores you don't even have to sign for purchases under $20.

I was told by one of my friends (who had her card stolen) that you can write "Check ID" in place of your signature on the back and they will ask you for ID everytime you use the card (if they even look at it).

Also be careful when you're writing tips on receipts at restaurants and make sure that they can't slip anything else in, most places are fine but I've heard the odd story of the waiters/waitresses editing the tip section by adding in an extra 0 or 1. I usually write it tight to the dollar symbol and then put a line after it, same as you would a cheque.

spideog7 wrote: »
    Credit cards always charge a cash advance fee, even if you're using an Irish credit card in an Irish ATM. ATM's in the US have a per use charge unless you're with the bank who owns the ATM

You will only be charged a cash advance fee if you are taking the banks money from the credit card but if you have your own money in the account then you're not charged. And not all ATMs will charge, actually you will find ATMs advertising their free transactions and as I mentioned before Chase doesn't charge me for using my credit card in their machines.

But remember, Americans pay for EVERYTHING by card. Even a night out, go up to the bar and use your card, its dangerous (spending too much and leaving your tab open) but its possible. Places that don't take card are usually little hole in the wall food places (best food usually), some dive bars or some little stores. But all supermarkets, all non-dive bars, most restaurants and other businesses will take card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Yea they don't have chip and pin over here, I got asked that the chip bit of my card was a few times! They just started using the PIN numbers for debit transactions alright, in large stores you don't even have to sign for purchases under $20.

I was told by one of my friends (who had her card stolen) that you can write "Check ID" in place of your signature on the back and they will ask you for ID everytime you use the card (if they even look at it).

Also be careful when you're writing tips on receipts at restaurants and make sure that they can't slip anything else in, most places are fine but I've heard the odd story of the waiters/waitresses editing the tip section by adding in an extra 0 or 1. I usually write it tight to the dollar symbol and then put a line after it, same as you would a cheque.

Ha, I'd believe it. I was really surprised they don't use chip and pin. I was never once asked for ID or had my signature checked when using the cc. I can't believe how trusting Americans are when it comes to their cards considering how easy it would be to fiddle them out of a few quid with the lack of chip and pin etc.... When I was in a few bars I saw people would walk in and start a tab and just hand over their card to the bartender. I'd never hand my card over to a total stranger for a few hours but my buddy said that was the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Credit cards always charge a cash advance fee, even if you're using an Irish credit card in an Irish ATM. ATM's in the US have a per use charge unless you're with the bank who owns the ATM (which you won't be with an Irish card), plus you'll get charged an exchange fee by your Irish bank.

Using a credit card to pay for things directly is the cheapest way, there's normally no fees (my experience is with an AIB Mastercard) and the exchange rate is always better than a cash exchange rate. In short using cash in foreign currencies is the most expensive way to pay for things (although unless you're spending a lot of money it won't be a huge difference).

Yes, but I am not talking about a cash advance fee. If you read my post again, you'll see that PTSB charge for using your card for making purchases in shops etc in a foreign currency. So there are fees using some credit cards.

When I was in a few bars I saw people would walk in and start a tab and just hand over their card to the bartender. I'd never hand my card over to a total stranger for a few hours but my buddy said that was the done thing.

I've done that :o That's just the way it's done here, they usually have a big bundles of cards behind the bar. It's dangerous in a lot of ways, cause often my friends would tell me to put a drink on their tab, so I'd just say their name and get my drinks, but if you just found out someones name you could drink on their tab all night!!

Ironically enough AIB called me today, somebody had tried to use my credit card so they locked it. Which is strange cause I haven't used my CC over here since September and it hasn't been stolen, I still have it.

Which makes me uncomfortable about my debit card, cause if that get's skimmed and someone swipes my money I have no come back!!

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You will only be charged a cash advance fee if you are taking the banks money from the credit card but if you have your own money in the account then you're not charged. And not all ATMs will charge, actually you will find ATMs advertising their free transactions and as I mentioned before Chase doesn't charge me for using my credit card in their machines.

Yea if you have money in your account then it's technically a debit transaction and you only get charged for credit cash transactions, like you said taking the credit card companies money.

I'm not sure about the ATM's, but a lot of them do charge, I don't get charged from my bank anyway, cause they give me the fees back once I have enough of a positive balance.

Pythia wrote:
    Yes, but I am not talking about a cash advance fee.
    Sorry I was referring to lil_lisa's post.

Advertisement