Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABRAHAM! FACT OR FICTION?

Options
  • 03-02-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Whilst watching that series on CH4 last Sunday I was informed that this guy lived to 170 odd years old.Whats going on? Surely thats a bit far fetched.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Whilst watching that series on CH4 last Sunday I was informed that this guy lived to 170 odd years old.Whats going on? Surely thats a bit far fetched.

I don't believe Abraham was a fictional character. Many historians believe that the development of Judaism is best explained on the basis of Abraham being a real historical person.

Whether you choose to believe all the details of his life as revealed in the Bible or not is a separate issue. I have no difficulty in the concept that an omnipotent God could enable someone to live for a long time. Of course if you choose not to believe in an omnipotent God then you are rejecting loads of what the Bible records, so you might as well reject Abraham's lifespan as well.

BTW - NEXT TIME, COULD YOU AVOID USING ALL CAPS IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE THREAD? IT MAKES IT LOOK AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Yes(eyesight not the best) It was an interesting programme in regards to Abe. All the three religions have a hold on him yet they are all at each others throat.Surley they should more in common if they are all believers in the same guy.As for me,No.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Advertisement