Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good/Bad Vibes

Options
  • 03-02-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get these? Like just a bad feeling about a certain place? Swords always feels sad to me for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I was in Swords tonight. Place gives me the creeps

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

Strange huh? Something not right in Swords and not just the lack of Burger King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spirals

animan wrote: »
    Anyone else get these? Like just a bad feeling about a certain place? Swords always feels sad to me for some reason.

I get these all the time. I used to work in Swords and totally agree with you about it feeling sad. Kind of melancholy or something. It's hard to describe, and even harder to explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Is there any part in particular in Swords you are talking about or are you just saying in general? For me from when I was a kid until now there's one place in particular that I've always got an eerie vibe driving by it.

I don't think there is any weird/sad history in the town. I've never heard of any hauntings or ghost stories either.

People find Swords depressing , Paranormal ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Grimes wrote: »
    I was in Swords tonight. Place gives me the creeps

I never venture there after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was only in Swords once and thought it was quite nice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

My mum got that sort of vibe when she went to Belfast... as a result she doesn't like the city much.

I can't say I've gotten a bad vibe off a place as of yet, but I seem to pick it up off people. Last person I picked it up off gave me a headache because the negative vibes she was giving off were really strong, if not somewhat overpowering.

Dave! wrote: »
    Was only in Swords once and thought it was quite nice tbh

What happened ? Is it true what they say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

No not any particular part just swords as a whole. Just doesn't feel good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Every time a lorry passes by when i`m driving, especially with the window down, I get the shudders. Tis really strange, and quiet annoying.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get bad vibes too, off people sometimes, and places too. I do wonder what causes it. Is it infrasound, or a subconcious reaction to my surroundings, or another sense altogether?

In terms of people, the ones I react badly to are the ones I can give the best readings to. Curious.

I get bad vibes off people and generally im always proven right in the end. Like when you meet someone and you just know this person is a bad potato. Its a pretty useless superhero talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

I get bad vibes off people and generally im always proven right in the end. Like when you meet someone and you just know this person is a bad potato. Its a pretty useless superhero talent.

im the same. i wood nt call it useless. just irritating when u try to warn people and dey dont listen !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I got a really homely vibe off my first bedsit, felt it from as soon as i walked inside. Decided to take it even though i had to share a bathroom (had said before that didnt wanna share no matter how nice it seemed!).

Found out years later that some one with very similar name lived in that house in 1911:eek:
    Only it was a boy and im not a boy!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I've encountered two individuals who not just gave off bad vibes, they were sending out waves of pure malice. Very unsettling. It's like being in a strong wind but the wind is made of pure hatred. I've only met two like that, I hope not to meet any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I get similar vibes from Swords, Lusk, Rush... to be honest, I think that's just a North County Dublin thing.

I know one man who gives out very bad vibes, and who coincidentally now lives in Swords. Maybe he was drawn to the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 zerotolerance

I live in Swords and it's a great place, people are friendly and there are some great pubs and restaurants.

Now as for Cabra and Templeogue, those places really freak me out for some strange reason.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

loldog wrote: »
    I've encountered two individuals who not just gave off bad vibes, they were sending out waves of pure malice. Very unsettling. It's like being in a strong wind but the wind is made of pure hatred. I've only met two like that, I hope not to meet any more.

Only one occasion comes to mind when I met someone who radiated something near enough to the definition of evil. Granted, I've met people I disliked almost on first sight for no apparent reason, but there was nothing malevolent there.

Anyway, the one occasion where I met what I believed to be evil incarnate took place when I was in Transition Year and a group of us were sent to a charity shop to do some part-time community service (of the non-reformatory kind :rolleyes:). I was stationed on the till one evening but I was manning it alone temporarily whilst the staff tidied up the shop floor. I was standing there waiting for the next customer, when this woman of approximately early 30s and a man in his late 40s or early 50s entered the shop and started browsing. I had been briefed beforehand by the shop's staff to keep an eye on any would-be shoplifters, so I was monitoring those two fairly closely. I noticed the man leading the woman around the shop like a parent would tow a child, and the woman seemed to be moving rigidly as if prompted by fear. The man was also talking right into her ear the whole time. I just found it all really weird and mildly disturbing.

Eventually the two of them approached the shop counter. The man placed the items on the counter, yet it was the woman who was buying them. Several years have passed and yet, since then, I still haven't reacted to a bloke I don't know with a combination of deep dislike and overwhelming fear.

At the end of the transaction, I looked the woman right in the eyes and asked her if she needed a bag, and the look in her eyes has become embedded in my consciousness ever since. If her eyes could have talked, they would have told a horrifying story. If that man and woman had been questioned by someone then, I'd bet my life and my family's lives on it that that bloke had brutalised that woman physically, sexually, and emotionally. It was sickening because yer man was doing his coarse best to act all civilised, but I thought he was some sick, vile bastard.

When he was leading her out the shop door by her elbow, I felt helpless that I couldn't do anything to get that woman away from that bastard. I've often wondered since if the woman managed to get away from him, and if she's even still alive.

I wouldn't like to be meeting scumbags like that and getting those terrible vibes off them frequently. It'd do a fella's head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

My friend calls it his 3rd eye. He is brilliant at reading people. A group of us went away to Clonmel, Knocklofty House hotel (anyone know it). Beautiful old house. We were being shown our rooms and my friend walked into the first bedroom and walked out nearly straight away. He said nothing, I said I would take the room, we had a choice. Well to cut a long story short. The owners told us that it was the most haunted room in the place ( when we checked out)and lots of people had reported things that went bump!! in the night. My friend felt it the minute he walked into the room and thats why he turned on his heels. I never sleep with the light on but when I was in that room at night I had to have the bathroom light on all night. There ya go!!!:D

Oh and I live in Swords. It must be the castle and round tower that gives it the eerie feel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Shoplifting from a charity shop? Man that must have been a rough neck of the woods!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

beans wrote: »
    I know one man who gives out very bad vibes, and who coincidentally now lives in Swords. Maybe he was drawn to the place?

The above is just ridiculous.

I just don't like Swords. Maybe that's it!? No wait, there has to be some underlying paranormal conotations.

I'm scared of flying. Maybe those boeings were built by murderers.

I'm believe in spirits etc but, this all sounds stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whatsyourface

I get bad vibes off certain people - you can call it paranoia, but I've never been wrong! I can tell someone's pissed at me (even if nothing caused it) before i even see them that day. It was like a telepathic thing between me and my ex housemate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    The above is just ridiculous.

I just don't like Swords. Maybe that's it!? No wait, there has to be some underlying paranormal conotations.

Honestly, I just don't like Swords. I guess I was being facetious, so sorry for that.

I think people read too much into vibes, feelings about places or people - there's much that goes on in our consciousness that we don't understand, and that we ascribe to other sources. It's also very easy to retrospectively use our feelings about something when new information comes to light - "That dark castle spooked me out - and now I hear there's a ghost there" situation.

I do believe that we're all capable of picking up body-language and subtle pointers from people's demeanor about their intentions etc - but that's hardly paranormal phenomena. Very interesting, no doubt.

My predisposition to disliking Swords is purely down to being taken out of my comfort zone on the few occasions I've been there.

Negative Phenomenology FOR THE WIN

Its funny but i passed through swords for the first time last week nad this week i got the Flu for the first time in 5 years .

Connection ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Almost certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Honestly, I just don't like Swords. I guess I was being facetious, so sorry for that.

I've driven through the place a half a dozen times but all I can say is that I just never liked the look of it. No major vibes or whatever tho.
    I think people read too much into vibes, feelings about places or people - there's much that goes on in our consciousness that we don't understand, and that we ascribe to other sources.

Personally, I don't read too much into any 'vibes' I get about anyone or anyplace because there's no subsequent 'reading into' for me to do with them. It's usually instant and clear, requiring no further thought or assimilation of what it all might 'mean'. Now, 70-80% of the time, I feel nothing about anybody or anywhere because I choose to zone out. Makes life easier. The only reason I'd call certain feelings 'vibes' is because I can't think of anything better or suitably descriptive to call them.

I don't think they're necessarily derived from something paranormal either. I don't know what they are or what marquee they fall under. All I know is that theyre handy things to have based on past experiences of mine.

I would agree with you that the 'vibes'/feelings could very possibly be prompted by the unconscious reading of body language of others. But I'm also a believer in thought transference/telepathy (which isn't as supernatural as most people think it is), so I might ascribe vibes' appearance as a combination of both. As for getting vibes from places. Well, getting back into the paranormal sphere again, I reckon that any events or situations that have been experienced by people and managed to evoke strong emotions (good or bad), leave a stamp on the place. Something similar to the 'Stone Tape Theory'.

Anyone know anything about the recent and not-too-recent history of Swords?
    It's also very easy to retrospectively use our feelings about something when new information comes to light - "That dark castle spooked me out - and now I hear there's a ghost there" situation.

Yeah, it's annoying when you come across people saying things like that retrospectively. They should have said it/say it beforehand.

Connection ? ?

well you were crusing for brazzers and/or rent boys. I think thats more likely the connection. Cant blame an STD on the paranormal. Fess up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Desruth

Der, my husband, and my 2 children went camping in Offaly last June. We landed at the campsite at around 4pm and Der exclaimed loudly that there was "something hairy" about the place as he stepped out of the jeep.
    He never expanded on what he meant but the way he said it gave me the creeps. When I brought it up recently he said he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Advertisement