Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in starting study group?

Options
  • 02-02-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My Polish is very beginner, and Im too broke to pay for a polish teacher but im sure alot of us have language books to study so we could meet every fortnight to learn together? I know theres a polish study group in pearse library but thats turned more into a place for poles to congregate together
    more so than to interact with the irish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Anyone interested in starting this again? Maybe meet every one or two weeks to learn and practice polish together?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I'm interested in a study group. My prepositions and conjugations are FUBAR. I live in Portobello and work in Ballsbridge area. Third year part-time student at Trinity

So thats 2 hehe, I live in Dublin 10 and work in Dublin 18. Whats Fubar by the way?

Fubar is a military term. F**ked up beyond all recognition. It's not Polish :)
    trevorku wrote: »
    So thats 2 hehe, I live in Dublin 10 and work in Dublin 18. Whats Fubar by the way?

• Advertisement

I say ive been learning about 5 years on and off through self learning but I'm still rubbish at it, I can prounounce words but I need to actually practice speaking and stuff coz im going there in May and it would be nice to have a few things to say while im over there.

Whats your story if I can ask, why are you learning Polish inparticular?

I'm with a Polish girl 5 years. Did the self-learning thing for a year on and off, mostly off. Then joined the TCD course, been to Poland several times and I went to a short summer school last year. Still pretty poor myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Wishing I had the opportunity to do this before.

Anyway, much easier to pick up a language when you encounter it everyday. S'what I'm doing at the moment.

Hope it goes well for you all!

Same length of time here, got married last September and we have a son. We usually go to Poland about twice a year to see the other halves family and so on.

I heard this TCD course is supposed to be pretty good but ive heard it costs something like 600 Euros or something mad like that. I would consider something like that eventually as its probably decently structured. Im just starting a cheap course on Capel Street at the end of March, primarily to make contacts with other people who have Polish partners, make friendships while
    learning the language.

I did a small course before but the teacher didnt satisfy me in terms of what I needed from a course so had to quit. So the TCD course, do you find it good, are you retaining anything from it? Whats the structure of it like?

@TheAgogo your living in Poland now? Are you fluent yet :)

• Advertisement

I think it's 690euro for 1st and 2nd year. 3hrs a week for 24 weeks. After 2nd year its 390euro for 2hrs a week. Fantastic course and they offer free summer courses in Poland to a lot of students. If you work it out pe rhour it's pretty cheap for a propper course.
    Same length of time here, got married last September and we have a son. We usually go to Poland about twice a year to see the other halves family and so on.

I heard this TCD course is supposed to be pretty good but ive heard it costs something like 600 Euros or something mad like that. I would consider something like that eventually as its probably decently structured. Im just starting a cheap course on Capel Street at the end of March, primarily to make contacts with other people who have Polish partners, make friendships while
    learning the language.

I did a small course before but the teacher didnt satisfy me in terms of what I needed from a course so had to quit. So the TCD course, do you find it good, are you retaining anything from it? Whats the structure of it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

@TheAgogo your living in Poland now? Are you fluent yet :)

No of course not fluent by a long shot.

It certainly helps though to be completely immersed.

Can speak with the OH's parents and all that pretty well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

If anyone would be interested in a study group in Cork give me a shout. I'm pretty much teaching myself, and although I can hold a very basic conversation my vocab/gramattical knowledge renders me useless after a point!

learning the language.

We do a lot of group exercises to learn vocabulary. Talk with your class partner about preparing a meal, or something like that. We spend half the class learning and using new vocubulary and the other half is grammar. We learn grammar through repeating different sentences, which slightly vary from the previous. They only speak english to explain something as a last resort. There are some people at my level who practice at home with their partners and it is very obvious from their participation in discussions. I struggle to keep up. This year in particular i've noticed that the teacher has started speaking faster. I am learning slowly but i find that Polish is so different from latin languages that the words melt together in my head and i unknowning make up new words. Also my pronunciation isn't great, especially when a few 'z' or 'rz' pop up in close succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dash08

Did you ever set this study group up? I've only been learning a few months but would v interested.

Hi Dash08,

As far as I know nothing happened with the study group idea.

Trevorku and I are planning to set up a polish language pub evening for people who want to practice speaking polish. Poles welcome too.

We just need to agree a time and venue, but we are thinking of next Thursday in somewhere central (Dublin).

Conor

dash08 wrote: »
    Did you ever set this study group up? I've only been learning a few months but would v interested.

Feel free to come along Dash also if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dash08

Ye I'd def be interested in that. I'm only at the beginner stage at the moment though so I wouldn't be able to hold a proper conversation or anything yet, but it would be good experience for me to listen and to try to improve my understanding. Let me know what you arrange.:)

Polish pub evening is taking place on Thursday 15 September in the Lincoln Inn @ 8pm. The Lincoln Inn is at the end of Nassau Street opposite the National Gallery.

All Poles and students of Polish are welcome.

Advertisement