Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Attack

Options
  • 02-02-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

New CD out in a week or so, didn't like 100th Window as much as I loved the first three albums. Heard one track on the radio which sounded fine. Saw them at the Marquee in 1998 (the day after Neil Young) and they were fantastic.

Will buy it next payday (along with Series 4 of The Wire) and damn the recession.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Had a listen to it today on NPR, really liked it. Quite different from their older stuff, far better than 100th Window, it has some real crackers on there. Its a hard one to describe but I think most fans will really enjoy it. The track with Guy Garvey is fantastic, probably my favourite. Although the second track, Babel is definitely another highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mixed feelings about the new album. It doesn't captivate me as much as previous efforts (everything but 100th Window to be picky). As Aridstarling said, though, the Guy Garvey track (Flat of the Blade) is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I loved the single 'Live With Me' they released a few years ago with Terry Callier on vocals, and I'm surprised he wasn't included as a guest vocalist for the new album. I'm looking forward to giving it a listen..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I have this record and yes it is pretty good, but i'm amazed people are going crazy for the Guy Garvey tune. It is one of the most boring things i have ever heard. The record is hugely better than 100th window but not quite a mezzanine. I like atlas air and saturday come slow with damon Albard but flat of the blade is so pedestrian. Obviously each to his/her own but i'm curious what it is about flat of the blade that you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

Agreed. Flat of the Blade seems disjointed and erratic. Guy Garvey's voice sounds a little confused on it.

Songs for me are: Splitting the Atom, Girl I Love You, Psyche & Pray for Rain.

Paradise Circus is good too but there's a better Gui Boratto remix of it online..amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhYCDO-8Qs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I have this record and yes it is pretty good, but i'm amazed people are going crazy for the Guy Garvey tune. It is one of the most boring things i have ever heard. The record is hugely better than 100th window but not quite a mezzanine. I like atlas air and saturday come slow with damon Albard but flat of the blade is so pedestrian. Obviously each to his/her own but i'm curious what it is about flat of the blade that you like?

I would imagine you have a digital copy ;)

Its growing on me, needs a few listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Hey Jim, very astute of you. Yes, i do indeed have a digital copy. Is there a major difference as i have read early reviews where people were saying that the download was an early cut and not the finished production. Comments on the reviews then went on to say that the reviewer should pick up the latest copy as this was of better quality. i am just surprised as the copy i have of flat of the blade is really sparse and doesnt vary from start to fiinish in tempo or mood. It worries me that i am making a judgement on a below par listen and also the other tracks suffer from the same lossy audio. I plan to buy this on cd anyway as MA are an act i am happy to support with cd purchases and live events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Hey Jim, very astute of you. Yes, i do indeed have a digital copy. Is there a major difference as i have read early reviews where people were saying that the download was an early cut and not the finished production. Comments on the reviews then went on to say that the reviewer should pick up the latest copy as this was of better quality. i am just surprised as the copy i have of flat of the blade is really sparse and doesnt vary from start to fiinish in tempo or mood. It worries me that i am making a judgement on a below par listen and also the other tracks suffer from the same lossy audio. I plan to buy this on cd anyway as MA are an act i am happy to support with cd purchases and live events.

only have a digital myslef but sounds like it was better than yours - should be in the shops tomorrow I reckon, will def buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Well I've listened to it a few times now, my initial verdict is that it is way better than 100th Window, but not as good as Mezzanine. Still when Protection was first released, lots of people were saying that it was not as good as Blue Lines, and when Mezzanine came out, it was too much of "a rock album" to be truely Massive Attack.

Heligoland sounds more interesting each time I hear it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Agreed. Flat of the Blade seems disjointed and erratic. Guy Garvey's voice sounds a little confused on it.

Songs for me are: Splitting the Atom, Girl I Love You, Psyche & Pray for Rain.

Paradise Circus is good too but there's a better Gui Boratto remix of it online..amazing stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhYCDO-8Qs

Completely agree with this - though I think Atlas Air is a great track too.

In fact I'm liking all of it at the moment (espec. Paradise Circus, Psyche and Girl I Love you) *except* that bloody Guy garvey track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

I've listened to it a fair bit now and I'm a little disappointed unfortunately. It just doesn't seem as cohesive as their first three albums. I can't quite place my finger on it but it just doesn't sound distinctly Massive Attack-esqe - some songs sound like any old inferior band could have produced them (a backhanded compliment to MA's career to date I suppose).

One thing I'd have liked to have heard was more of Horace Andy ('Girl I love you' is a highlight) and a little less of everyone else. Historically Hope Sandoval's duets have been hit and miss however I think 'Paradise Circus' is a triumph and I like the video alot too.

It's not that it's a bad album, it's just not superb like Massive's first three (I consider 100th Window a Del Naja solo album) and it's a sign of how high I regard the collective that I expect such high standards. I've seen a couple of comments elsewhere that say it's a grower and requires considerable listens before it reveals itself. I suppose I'll just keep listening and hope that's the case.

Advertisement