Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing day thread - general recruitment

Options
  • 02-02-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭

Well signing day is almost upon us and some of the most touted recruits on the ESPN U150 & Rivals.com rating systems are still to decide where to hang their hats.

Being a UH fan Im pretty pleased with our recuirtment so far. Defense has always been the painpoint and we have done well in getting some reasonable talent in defense. We dont really need to overly worry about the offense as we tend to be very productive in the run and gun scheme without top end recruits anyway.

I would rate this as our best recruitment class in a long while. How is your college team doing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

As a Longhorns fan I'm pretty pleased with our haul. All 25 commitments are in the bag as of now so we're set. As usual we recruited almost singulary in Texas, Mack Brown and Texas have always believed that if you get the best players in the talent rich state you'll be in a position to win titles.

Over the weekend we managed to get Will Russ the kicker from Shreveport Evangel, Louisiana who will come in and replace Hunter Lawerence as kicker and will probably perform kick off duties as well. That was the icing to a great weekend with Jackson Jeffcoat, a defensive end who the Horns hope can perform like Sergio Kindle and Brian Orakpo, and Jordan Hicks, a top linebacker who turned down his homestate Buckeyes to play for Will Muschamp both committing.

Apart from that we have Garett Gilbert at QB and he showed some promise in the national title game, add in that Colts brother Case is coming to Austin along with Conor Wood and that position looks pretty secure for 4 years. The positions of need for the 'Horns are at running back and reciever and theres hope that Chris Jones and Darius White can compete as freshmen for starting roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

frostie500 wrote: »
    4 years. The positions of need for the 'Horns are at running back and reciever and theres hope that Chris Jones and Darius White can compete as freshmen for starting roles.

Im not sure White will come in and compete for a starting role from what Ive seen and read. He looks like a burner and will do some damage in special teams but outside of seam routes he looks like theres a lot of work do do with his route running

D3PO wrote: »
    Im not sure White will come in and compete for a starting role from what Ive seen and read. He looks like a burner and will do some damage in special teams but outside of seam routes he looks like theres a lot of work do do with his route running

Dont forget that with Jordan Shippley leaving the reciever position will open right up for Texas and there will be his spot to fill. What I've seen on him-admitidly youtubes and stuff like that-which obviously show case his good moments! is that he could come in and compete for a role in as you say the slot. Other then that yeah special teams is an area that he could be very useful for us. But dont forget, the beauty of signing day is that every fan thinks that each commitment will fill a need and help their team win a title! I'm more worried about backs coming in and performing though then these two recievers

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Dont forget that with Jordan Shippley leaving the reciever position will open right up for Texas and there will be his spot to fill. What I've seen on him-admitidly youtubes and stuff like that-which obviously show case his good moments! is that he could come in and compete for a role in as you say the slot. Other then that yeah special teams is an area that he could be very useful for us. But dont forget, the beauty of signing day is that every fan thinks that each commitment will fill a need and help their team win a title! I'm more worried about backs coming in and performing though then these two recievers

so true :D forgot Shippley if leaving perhaps he will fill the starting spot.

My other comments about this years recruitment class is Florida and Florida State look to have done stupidly well.

On the flip Im really really really surprised with the lack of recruits commited to Boise given their form over the last few years only 8 commits so far and no head turners really. Which is good for me with them being WAC foes :D

so true :D forgot Shippley if leaving perhaps he will fill the starting spot.

yeah its easy to think he's just part of the furniture!
    My other comments about this years recruitment class is Florida and Florida State look to have done stupidly well.

On the flip Im really really really surprised with the lack of recruits commited to Boise given their form over the last few years only 8 commits so far and no head turners really. Which is good for me with them being WAC foes :D

Urban Meyer did a great job taking a break so far hasnt he! The Gators have a lot of need this year after losing so many players this season to the draft. i dont expect them to struggle too much but it will be a while before they are as dominant as Meyer has made them in the past. Florida State on the other hand needs to make their recruits perform on the field, they have not recruited as well in the last decade as they did previously and need to regain the form of the ninties and indeed early this century. In the ACC its possible to get a good challenge going and compete for BCS bowl games.

I wouldnt be too woried if I was a Boise fan, or too confident if Im a Hawaii fan though. Boise hasnt been able to attract 4 or 5 star players but always gets guys to fit their system and win with. To be honest its one reason where I think the scouting systems are lacking, guys get high grades because X amount of schools offered scholerships to him so a player that may have fundemental issues gets four stars whereas players that end up at Boise or TCU get two stars. Notre Dame ranks highly in recruiting but fails on the field and Boise and TCU appear to struggle to recruit but win and develop NFL caliber players. Are the players Notre Dame recruit overated and the WAC teams underated or are the ND players coached badly versus great coaching? I'd say the answers some rwhere in the middle but its why I dont really pay too much attention when a team 'wins' the recruiting season and pay more attention to whether positions of need are filled.

Well the Kiffin machine is in full swing.

Signing day hasnt even officially started yet and hes managed to force 3 deccomitments to USC and 2 of em are top 150 ranked players.

Georgia, UCLA & Tennessee not a good start to the day.

Meanwhile in Non AQ land we lost one of our 3 star commits at Hawaii to Washington :(

Advertisement