Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Default directories on Windows 7

Options
  • 02-02-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭

When I was prompted for a directory on windows 7, for example when I was downloading something or saving something, the file chooser root would default to the top most level, so I could choose C:\, D:\ etc immediately.

In Windows 7 (and I think in Vista as well), it defaults to all these shortcuts, such as Users etc. I usually like to store stuff outside my user directory for example in C:\tools. So to get to this directory I have to click out of the windows 7 defaults, back onto my C:\ and then into my tools.

This is really annoying. I would much prefer to change the defaults I am prompted for. Any ideas?

Also, do you like using this USers directory? I am wondering are my better off getting used to it or is my old fashioned style of creating my own directories sensible?

What way do you prefer using windows 7?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

It's a move to being more Unix like, which is more secure, organised and a better system for multiple users IMHO.

You should consider your home folder to be like you considered C: in past versions of Windows. Whereas before you would save things in 'C:\tools', you should save things in '<yourhomefolder>\tools' (the literal path is 'C:\Users\<yourusername>\').

Ever since I started using Linux, I always preferred this kind of organisation, and therefore from my PoV, it's a welcome change.

Think about it in terms of backing up. All you have to do is copy your home folder, where all your important files will (well, should in theory) be. No need to go through your whole HD to see where you saved what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It's a move to being more Unix like, which is more secure, organised and a better system for multiple users IMHO.

You should consider your home folder to be like you considered C: in past versions of Windows. Whereas before you would save things in 'C:\tools', you should save things in '<yourhomefolder>\tools' (the literal path is 'C:\Users\<yourusername>\').

Ever since I started using Linux, I always preferred this kind of organisation, and therefore from my PoV, it's a welcome change.

Think about it in terms of backing up. All you have to do is copy your home folder, where all your important files will (well, should in theory) be. No need to go through your whole HD to see where you saved what.

Good post thanks. I get the idea and I might be converted now. However, I am wondering things like the following:
    1. My wife and I share the same laptop, we have separate accounts.
    2. We share the same camera and if I transfer photos they'll go into my user account and if she does it they'll go into hers.

The old way we'd just transfer them to C:\photos.

The old way we'd be sure we weren't duplicating the same photos on the disk. Now I could forsee a situation where photos could get duplicated in both accounts. Or that one user finds it messy to access the other users.

So what would be your suggestion there?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

C:\Users\Public ;)

C:\Users\Public ;)

That's funny and clever. Is that what you do?

you don't log on as a public user surely? And surely this shows the weakness is the "users" concept as there is no public user?

discuss... even if you are taking the mick...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's funny and clever. Is that what you do?

you don't log on as a public user surely? And surely this shows the weakness is the "users" concept as there is no public user?

discuss... even if you are taking the mick...

There is a user directory called Public, whose subdirectories are accessible by all users. It's the new paradigm equivalent of the "Shared Documents" stuff in XP. It exists for precisely the kind of document-sharing you describe.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    There is a user directory called Public, whose subdirectories are accessible by all users. It's the new paradigm equivalent of the "Shared Documents" stuff in XP. It exists for precisely the kind of document-sharing you describe.

Cool, would you mind telling me if that's the way you work then? Are you happy with just going the default way? Anything annoying about it? for example temp internet files clogging up user directories needlessly?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cool, would you mind telling me if that's the way you work then?

To be honest I'm only using Windows 7 on my work machine at the moment, where for various reasons we don't have a domain. I haven't really used it yet.

However, this page on the Microsoft website has a lot of detail on the various ways of sharing files with other users in Windows 7, and will probably help you figure out the best way to do what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I have 5 accounts on my home pc and we tend to keep shared files on the d: drive

If you use a download manager, (flashget, DL manager etc) you can define categories of downloads (music, video, photos, etc ) and link the category to a default location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Would a Windows 7 Library be any use to you in this situation?
    I'm not too familiar with them but couldn't you make a new library point to the folder and have easy access to it in the file dialogue.

I don't buy the whole user folder concept because I'm the only one who uses my laptop and I save all my data on a separate partition. At least that way I can nuke the C drive and lose little or nothing.

I'm still very stuck with the Windows 95/98 ways of doing things, never really changed and that's why I find Vista and 7 so hard to adapt to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement