Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Routers and repeaters - HELP!

Options
  • 02-02-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have just switched (forced to switch) from BT to Vodafone. V have sent me a lovely new 802.11n Home Gateway - thanks very much.
    My problem is that the wireless network does not extend all the way through the house; it never did, and I was hoping this new router would solve that problem. Adding to the confusion, I have been using the BT router as a modem and connecting via WAN to an Airport Time Machine that looks after the wifi; transmitting dual band 802.11g + n. is there anyone out there who knows how to get the BT Voyager 2110 router to act as a repeater? Either to the Airport base station or to the new Vodafone router. I realize that it would repeat only in 802.11g mode, but as the airport cards in my macbooks can handle this traffic, it wouldn't be a problem. Or is it possible to get the new router to do the repeating and keep the wifi protocol at the better 'n'. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

RD

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have just switched (forced to switch) from BT to Vodafone. V have sent me a lovely new 802.11n Home Gateway - thanks very much.
    Out of interest, did you request a new router, or was it just sent out to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RapidDeparture

I requested the router - after I learned it would be free of charge; and thinking it might solve the network extent issue. It was also suggested that the BT router might not be up to the new 802.11n standard (I have checked and it isn't) or able to deal out the extra bandwidth Vodafone have just given me (from 1MB to 3MB).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you are on a 1 or 3 mbps connection it makes little difference what standard (b/g/n/a/....) of router you have. If you want to increase the range, rather than the speed, you might try
    (a) some kind of directional antenna solution
    (b) get a different router that you can put DD-WRT/Open-WRT/Tomato on (e.g. Linksys WRT54G and others), so you can modify the transmit power
    (c) move your existing router
    (d) add another router, connected by either CAT5E or thru 'netplug' type solution

Advertisement