Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Plates??

Options
  • 02-02-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Hey. My mam brought my car up for a free 5 point check the other day & was told I needed a three things done. Two of them I already knew about as my brother had mentioned them to me (new wipers & new brake pads) but the 3rd thing I'm not sure of. Was told I need top plates which is apparently to do with my shocks. I'm a female learner & while I know a few things about cars, this really went over my head (& my mams). Just wondering if anyone can tell me what they are & how much they would reckon it would cost to replace them on a 02 Ford Ka.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did they say bushings need replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Did they say bushings need replacing?

No - I got a little card from them & all it said was
    Top Plates x 2
    Pads & Disc
    2 wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It could be the suspension tops on the rear shocks.

Is there rattles in the back?

If theres play up and down in them he may have thought they are gone. I'v seen the NCT fail on this even though new ones are exactly the same. They are simple to change though, just leave the car on the ground and they can be replaced without removing the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

barry81 wrote: »
    It could be the suspension tops on the rear shocks.

Is there rattles in the back?

If theres play up and down in them he may have thought they are gone. I'v seen the NCT fail on this even though new ones are exactly the same. They are simple to change though, just leave the car on the ground and they can be replaced without removing the suspension.

Thanks for that explanation. Yeah there is a bit of a rattle from the back when driving. Yeah he had mentioned that it may fail the NCT on these but I could chance it if I couldn't get them done now as he's seen others pass - said it would depend on just how they acted on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Get a mechanic to take them out and grind a little bit off the bottom. It should tighten them up and get rid of the rattles. It's easy enough to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement