Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rayburn Solid Fule Range

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Anyone have any problems with the above? We had ours installed in 07 when we moved into our new house and it has been nothing but trouble! We have a straight chimney with a special cowl on top. Irrespective of what you burn the soot box is full every 2nd day. We have privately employed heat experts, etc but no joy and the company have been absolutely useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭makfli

I converted my solid fuel ( anthracite) Rayburn to oil many years ago. I think the control unit was called Don and supply was to a wick. reason I did this was the solid fuel arrangement was filthy soot and dust everywhere and hard to control the heat. It was a big success . From memory the cost was small and the Aga service guy did the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭makfli

Meant to say also Rayburn have a very loyal following in the UK. Google Rayburn and see where it takes you. I think there is a forum as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

ammg wrote: »
    Anyone have any problems with the above? We had ours installed in 07 when we moved into our new house and it has been nothing but trouble! We have a straight chimney with a special cowl on top. Irrespective of what you burn the soot box is full every 2nd day. We have privately employed heat experts, etc but no joy and the company have been absolutely useless.

What are you burning in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

It doesn't matter what we burn in it -

we have burned turf(nightmare - house smells of smoke for days), timber, logs, everything except coal.

A

So what exactly are you saying?
    Is there a bad draw on the chimney?
    What type of chimney have you got it connected to?
    how do you burn it? ie, do you leave the damper open for a bit or do you close it off completely?

• Advertisement

We had a heat expert out as originally there was soot spilling down through the wall over the range. He designed a funnel to enclose the bootom part of the pipe in the chimney in the top part. He checked the draw, etc on the chimney and said it was all perfect

i dont understand??spilling down the wall??? like tar?

If it is then it means your chimney not suitable for a range?

I don't understand how a chimney cannot be suitable for a range when it was built to our specification with the understanding that a solid fuel range was going to be using it solely. It is a straight chimney with the pipe from the range going up it.

When you say a straight chimney what do you mean?
    Most ranges over the years were connected to a standard clay chimney which isnt ideal but it works most of the time.

The chimney was built about 2 years ago. When I say straight I mean that if you were to look down from the top you could see into the pipe (flue) which connects the range. That's the reason we put a cowl on it originally we were afraid that rain was coming in as the soot was spilling out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Last year I was going to get a new rayburn range to replace my old rayburn No.3 I was advised if I did so I would need a stainless steel flue or it would not work properbly. I did not purchase one but sadly my trusty No.3 is on its last days. I hear there are refurbished rayburns available does anyone have any info on these and where they are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rule4willapply

I have the exact same problem, replaced an old Rayburn in '07 with a new one.....absolute disaster. smoke everywhere, cannot sort it. signed up this website lookin for clues. havent found any yet, except what one poster said about the stainless steel flue. the old rayburn worked perfect, you could leave the door open to heat the room etc. with the new one, you have to be careful not to open door for more than 2 seconds or whole house fills with smoke.

Still kooking for a rayburn No.3 Can anybody help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

You should try H & F Enterprises in Tipperary - they do all types of reconditioned ranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

PLEASE KEEP AWAYfrom H&F enterprises, complete knackers.
    promised to re-enamel a range that was over 45 years old, took range plus large deposit and left back a hybrid range not the one that was originally in the house, refused to answer phone quite ignorant about the situation. and now are bluffing refusing to co-operate, now taking legal action.
    p,s the co is not registered as a business or company so difficult to track down who is behind the company.
    so BEWARE.

Thanks, I think you may be right. I got a Quote from them for a refurbished Rayburn no.3 of €3100 collected. In the local paper this week I see a brand new Raburn solid fuel range advertised at €4300 capable of heating 15 radiatiors.Surely no comparison. Ive been told that Stanleys of Tullow Co. Carlow do refurbished Rayburns much cheaper ? Anyone have experience of dealing with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 godmother

I recently bought a brand new rayburn solid fuel range to put in a brand new house.My prob is that it wont stay new for long if the smoke keeps on coming out in large puffs.I was just wondering would anyone know whether this is just because it is new and whether this will stop?

Sometimes if the chimney is cold it affects the draught, a good fire should sort that hopefully

Advertisement