Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Skin Patch work Quilt

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi, I have a sheepskin patch work blanket that my mum made about 30 years ago. The patches are about 2.5inches square with 6 holes punched on each edge and it is knitted together to form a blanket. The problem is that all the stitches/knitting have come undone and my mum can't remember how to the stitch/knit it back together.
    I've searched everywhere to find out how to redo the stitching but to no avail, all I can find is how to either sew the patches together (not suitable because it's sheepskin and too thick) or stitch knitted patches together (also not suitable as it is assumed that you can use the loops of the knitted patches to stitch them together, where as the sheepskin just has holes to lead the wool through) I have tried working out the stitch by eye but it's not possible, what I worked out is that each patch has a border stitch around it which seems independent of the stitching holding the patches together.
    If anyone knows how to do this or could point me in the right direct I would be most grateful. This blanket has been in my family for a longtime, my mum cut all the patch out in the USA on my aunts farm and brought them back to Ireland and made the blanket. It's been well used over the years and it would be great to return it to it's original condition.
    Thanks in advance
    Jen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Hi Jen,
    Could you post some pics, or links to pics?
    I think if boarders can see it, we may be able to come up with the answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Thanks for replying, I really appricate it. Copy and paste this link into you browser:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47154620@N07/show/

Hope this works, it a public ablum on flickr, never done it before so fingers crossed.
    I've taken some close ups of the front and back so you can get some idea of the stitching. Thanks for the help.
    Jen

4326136692_62ee51aff4.jpg4325399615_3e3d77916c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Hi Jen,
    That is seriously complicated looking!
    The centre part of the stictching looks like knitting, but you can also achieve that with crochet.

I *think* that this is a mix of crochet and knitting - or knitting with a crochet hook. The a loop is put through the hole and the wool knitted across for two stitches and and then looped through the otherside and knitted back again.

Do you know anyone who is good at crochet or knitting? If so, I'd take it to them. I'd also say that by allowing someone to unravel a small part they'll be able to understand how it was made.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Hi

That's great, at least I know what the stitch is called now. Just found a forum for Crochet Lover and posted it up on there to see if they can help.

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone else out there can help.

Jen

Advertisement