Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why won't dealer take my newer car as a trade-in?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, quick question; viewed a 03 car in a dealers on Saturday; as they were busy I didn't get to chat to a salesperson, so I phoned today instead to enquire about a trade-in. My own is an 05, different make, but I was told it wasn't their policy to take a newer car against an older one. The only reason i'm going down in years is to be able to afford a decent, larger car for lugging all the family stuff around. The salesman wasn't able to explain why, apart from rambling on about the cost of getting both cars ready, valeting them etc., costs which apply to any trade-in situation with two used cars I'd imagine. Is this standard practice these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sound like rubbish. I am assuming your newer car was worth less than the older car?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭0scar

yep, I'd have had to add 1500 along with my own.

approximately that is; only when I asked about a valuation in case I were interested in any other car he had would he give me a rough estimate. I thought garages wanted business these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

could be afew reasons...
    one mught be simple as the garage don't like your car.. might think they would never sell it.. or it could take a while to sell and loose to much in depreciation before they sell it

Sound like reasonable explanations alright, will have to take my money somewhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sounds rubbish oscar, it sounds like they are not intrested i know lots of people who have done the same thing as you. I hate sales people in garages who have this attitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

is it an awful queer colour by any chance say a rotten green mint colour or something

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what car were you trying to trade in?

it's a seat toledo (like the altea), good spec, colour's grand!

There's your answer I'm afraid. they're not exactly popular.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There's your answer I'm afraid. they're not exactly popular.

hate to say it but I agree.... i would say the dealer was afraid of getting stuck with it......

don't know why, they're basically the altea xl with a differently styled rear!

The Altea is similarly feared among salesmen

0scar wrote: »
    don't know why, they're basically the altea xl with a differently styled rear!

as the saying goes... there be your problem!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid almost nobody bothered with that model Toledo, a saloon MPV wasn't a very good concept which Seat admitted later by ditching it for the conventional Exeo. They are extremly difficult to sell so I can see why a garage would not favour that deal, actually I could see the salesman's boss giving him the boot if he took it as a trade-in, in the current climate.

don't think they've ditched it just yet, they're still making alteas &the altea xl? I think the Exeo is a step backwards; it's uglier than any toledo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

The Exeo is a fine looking car - but it already looked dated because it's based on the old Audi A4.
    It's too expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

0scar wrote: »
    as they were busy I didn't get to chat to a salesperson...

have I missed something, is the recession over? :)

Certainly looked like it, it was amazing, there must've been a dozen people milling round the showroom waiting for a salesman. Receptionist had no idea why it was so busy. I should've got there when it was snowing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

God the recession must be over. I went into an audi/vw dealership in cork city a few years ago to buy straight and the salesman nearly chewed the legs of me as i never made an appointment.:rolleyes: I wonder would he do it now

• Advertisement
Advertisement