Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an Estate... any advice?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi
    I'm thinking of upgrading my 99 Focus hatchback to an estate.
    Is there one brand that sticks out that you'd reccomend?

The Audi A4 looks great but costly. The Scoda Octavia looks good value.
    I'm looking around the year 2006-7.

Also I think I'll opt for my first diesel car.

Are there any gotchas to keep in mind when buying an estate?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You could do a lot worse than a Megane Sport Tourer, Estate to you and me. Go for the 1.5dci and you have a super engine with none of the coil pack and other problems associated with the petrol engines. They are huge inside, and the load space is is flat and big enough for most anything. A 2006/07 will be the facelift where a lot of issues had been sorted, so it is a reliable car. Ours has never missed a beat, but has had window regulators replaced, all under warranty. They are also cheap for what you get, but you must go diesel.

We also have a 2008 Focus, super car but the Renault is MUCH more spacious as it sits on a much longer wheelbase. It is also quieter, more comfortable and more refined on the motorway than the Focus.

The Renault bashing brigade will be along shortly.

Oh yes, the whole estate concept is great, I don't think we would be without one again. Why on earth would you want a saloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Only gotcha i could think of is to avoid anything thats been used for carrying wet or dirty dogs around, unless you'll be doing the same. Some estates have self levelling rear suspension, i imagine this would be costly to fix if knackered. Check the roof of the car for scratches and the rooflining for tears, i know mine has a few from moving furniture! Check how easy it is in different models to flatten out seats etc. With some marques the estate version may not have all the trim and engine choices as the irish market saloon version. If you go for something that is rare in estate version bear in mind that rear suspension and lights etc may not be as readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm beginning to think that estates are an all around better buy then saloons full stop. They seem to be generally better built (or just that torsional rigidity is higher in an estate, meaning less rattling and a more solid feeling combined with better suspension).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that estates are an all around better buy then saloons full stop. They seem to be generally better built (or just that torsional rigidity is higher in an estate, meaning less rattling and a more solid feeling combined with better suspension).
    Torsional rigidity should be better in a saloon, as it has an extra beam behind the top of the rear seat. Estates are a lot more practical, though. They tend to be better-looking than their saloon counterparts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

What will you use the estate for? Does it need to be huge to take your surfboard, or is it handier for loading a buggy in to?

Best of the big estates are the V70 or E-Class, but they will cost you - especially in a Diesel.

Smaller Estate's like the Focus and Renault still have a pretty huge load area with the seats down. Mondeo / Vectra / Avensis are rare enough in Estate form and will probably have been used by sales reps carrying loads.

If you don't need masses of space, and like a nicely specced car, have a look at the Volvo V50. SE Spec gives you full leather, CD changer (up to mid 07), Climate Control, Cruise Control. Available with frugal, if a touch underpowered, 1.6 110bhp Diesel, or a fairly nippy 2.0 140bhp Diesel. Avoid the 1.8FF models like the plague though.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Torsional rigidity should be better in a saloon, as it has an extra beam behind the top of the rear seat.

Yep, Wikipedia had me just about to eat my words!

Torsional rigidity, who gives a fiddlers? It's an estate not a track day car!

Anan1 wrote: »
    They tend to be better-looking than their saloon counterparts too.
    I agree, especially with most new ones. There's very few "shur we'll blow out that wall and build onto the back" type extensions anymore, as per older VW golf estates. Latest accord and avensis estates look well.
    Hopefully emissions based tax will push people who previously bought SUVs back into estates, so there's a better supply secondhand in a few years time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭GTE

langdang wrote: »
    There's very few "shur we'll blow out that wall and build onto the back" type extensions anymore, as per older VW golf estates.

Why do you hurt me so? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...you may not agree, but some cars are just nicer as estates, over their saloon brethern.

Mine is but one.

104137.jpg

Have think about the year, though. It's a (sad) fact that the tax on a lot of those cars for an 08-forwards is a fraction of that for the same car pre-08.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'd certainly try to look for an 08 it you could stretch. On a bigger engined diesel, you may make up the extra purchase price on the tax saving if your keeping it for a good few years, plus it'll be newer, lower mileage etc.

Whats the budget? looking on carzone i'm guessing €10-13k??
    For that money i'd be looking at-

Mondeo - nice in zetec spec, tdci is better, older diesel is a biy of a tractor
    Octavia - good build, reliable, massive boot
    A4 - nice but not as practical as the others
    Accord - not many out there, hard to get one within budget
    x-type - hard to get but lovely car in the right spec but a good car
    407 - Great looker and spec but i'd be worried about reliability
    Passat - popular choice, i'd prob take one ahead of the A4

That Saab makes me think 'Ghostbusters!' for some reason. Not sure why, it's a nice car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You could do a lot worse than a Megane Sport Tourer, Estate to you and me. Go for the 1.5dci and you have a super engine with none of the coil pack and other problems associated with the petrol engines. They are huge inside, and the load space is is flat and big enough for most anything. A 2006/07 will be the facelift where a lot of issues had been sorted, so it is a reliable car. Ours has never missed a beat, but has had window regulators replaced, all under warranty. They are also cheap for what you get, but you must go diesel.

We've ordered the new model as the family car, it is indeed very spacious, surprisingly so. It was between that and the Octavia Combi as we already have an Octavia hatchback and when doing comparisons I was surprised to find the Megane is bigger in a few dimensions than the Octavia. In terms of litres the Octavia still has a bigger capacity with the seats up but I think the Megane is bigger with them folder flat.

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Nice estate in the C-class alright! The E-class is a monster machine though. The Saab 9-3 is a prime example of how to build a good looking estate, the 9-5 is an example of how not to IMHO. Can't stand the swoopy bit in the final window in the 9-5 and peugeot SW's.

Audi's, Mercs, Volvos, Saab 9-3 all look well in estate
    Mazda 6 is nice, (wouldn't fancy the 06-07 year diesel engine tho, just in case)
    The Renault and Alfa estates look well but most people will have their own opinion on whether to consider one...
    I really like the Subaru Legacy, but you won't get a diesel one from 06-07?
    Don't fancy the 06-07 model Honda Accord, looks like a futuristic hearse, but the new one is really well designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

betafrog wrote: »
    AlfaRomeo159SportwagonTI1.jpg

Yum

Double Yum :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yum, but as an estate useless, the boot is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

cb102 wrote: »
    The Audi A4 looks great but costly.

Just as a reference

I picked up a 06 Audi A4, S-line, 75K miles, private for 13900.

That was 2 weeks ago.

Hope it helps, and Goodluck
    Ki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭mountain

VOlvo V50 is a very well built estate, had one for 3 years and never gave any trouble, however....
    mine was the 1.8 petrol, heavy on petrol and no great power.
    Not much space in the back seats, and if you wanted to fold down the back seats completely then you had to take out the head rests from the back seats, which was a drag.

It felt nice and solid on the road, and was very comfortable, unless you want huge amounts of space, certainly consider it, esp in the 1.6d.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Im just back from doing some work in Sweden and I have to say the V50 or V70's are great cars, very comfortable and a nice ride.

All the taxis over there are all estates.

If it was me it would be either the V50/70 or the 9-3 combi unless you went for an A6 advant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement