Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Visibility Problem

Options
  • 01-02-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a terrible issue with my 07 golf, the visibility from the windscreen and the drivers and passenger windows is awful, I have all the heat settings correct, there's heat blowing up to the windscreen but its just not clearing at all, this is very dangerous as I cant see properly. I dont mind the side windows but the windscreen is appalling and I need to get it fixed.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I take it you don't have a/c? Are you sure the recirc button isn't engaged? Is there water leaking into the car anywhere? Do you often get into the car with wet clothes? Has the pollen filter been changed recently? Oh, and you really should mind not being able to see out of the side windows.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Don't be using full heat.It only makes further condensation. As anan1 said, check for any moisture oibjects in the car.
    Make sure vents are set to allow fresh air into the cabin and not recirculation. Are you sure it's condensation? Could be dirt and grime on windows. This is more noticable if they windows haven't been cleaned properly or if you wiped the condensation off em you're only p*ssing in the wind.

Not being funny but could it be frost? is it inside or outside the car?

As pointed out, side windows are vital for visibility.
    Last thing to say is make sure your engine has heated up adequatly before using climate control/ blowers etc.

Best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

I had a horrible problem with that with my car.

I had wet plastic wrapping to bring home. It soaked my boot and then all the windows got horrible condensation.

So, I got a tray like the ones you get from take aways, filled it half way with salt and placed one or two in the car in the offending areas.

After 3 days of that (dumping and refilling the salt after two days) hey presto everything was perfect. The salt soaks up the moisture.

Sadly, when taking it out I spilt some salt on the carpet and didnt clean it up.

Then what moistre was in the car was soaked up by the salt again and the carpet was soaking again.

Just dont spill it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    Hi

I have a terrible issue with my 07 golf, the visibility from the windscreen and the drivers and passenger windows is awful, I have all the heat settings correct, there's heat blowing up to the windscreen but its just not clearing at all, this is very dangerous as I cant see properly. I dont mind the side windows but the windscreen is appalling and I need to get it fixed.

any suggestions?

Have you tried leaving the drivers window open a bit, with the heat on? Try it, and report back.;)

By the way, you say it's dangerous like that, you shouldn't be driving if you can't see where you're going. Just wipe it with a cloth if nothing else works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Are your carpets wet?? Water ingress is common in VWs. The water usually comes in via an ill fitted pollen filter housing.

The heating or A/C will only clear/evaporate the condensation but when the cabin cools down again the water vapour will condense plus/minus any water taken away/induced by open windows. You've a dampness problem that needs to be addressed.

The air is fairly dry at the moment so while frost may be a problem, condensation should not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Have you tried leaving the drivers window open a bit, with the heat on? Try it, and report back.;)

By the way, you say it's dangerous like that, you shouldn't be driving if you can't see where you're going. Just wipe it with a cloth if nothing else works.

I know the type of condensation hes on about. Its not a mist, its ruddy water. But all that means is he has to dry harder!!!

Anyway, the reason I quoted you is that the driving with very hot heat on for a long drive then opening the window works a treat too. The hot air evaporates the majority of the water then the window lets it all out. The salt got the rest for me. I could only do short journeys so the heater wasnt too effective.

If it's water, just put loads of those little packets of silica gel, that come with shoes and various electronic stuff, in the car, hidden if you want.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If it's water, just put loads of those little packets of silica gel, that come with shoes and various electronic stuff, in the car, hidden if you want.

You can buy bigger versions of those, they're called small space dehumidifier bags, and cost about €2 for 3 in Home Store & More. I find them great for clearing the condensation in my 05 Golf. I usually just leave one in the tray area on the dashboard. Each bag lasts a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

I had this problem initially with my 06 golf and figured out, through trial and error mostly, to defog i had to start off with cold-ish air and slowly increase the temperature. Worked fine for me because I don't have climate control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Zaph wrote: »
    cost about €2 for 3 ...........Each bag lasts a couple of weeks.

OK - so this will work but it's curing the symptom rather than the disease.

Would it not be far better to find where the water is getting in and seal it? When the car rolled out of the factory it was dry.................

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    OK - so this will work but it's curing the symptom rather than the disease.

Would it not be far better to find where the water is getting in and seal it? When the car rolled out of the factory it was dry.................

But by the sounds of it, it's just condensation trapped inside, likely from water carried in on shoes, in the carpet, not a leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

As mentioned just leave the window down a bit to let the moisture escape form the inside whilst the heat is running. Grime and grease could be built up on the windows aslo so wouldnt be any harm to give them a clean with some window cleaner and newspaper.

If your serious about it all you can get your windows treated with products to help battle your windows fogging up. Its call Rain-X. Or a more expensive option is Duxback! :)

Advertisement