Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irlen Syndrome

Options
  • 01-02-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the right area - mods please move if there is a more appropriate location.

Not asking for advice but for information and personal experience if any.

I have two dyspraxic children and have been told anecdotally (by the person who diagnosed my children) that I also have a mild dyspraxia.

One of my children has dyslexia in conjunction with the dyspraxia - a fairly common occurrence. But he also has photosensitivity, which we initially associated with his colour blindness (diagnosed as red-green but I think not as straightforward as that - it appears to be green-orange)

Anyhow, I was doing some research about the whole area of dyspraxia and came across Irlen's Syndrome and the Irlen website.

What I want to know is

(a) How "accepted" is it (Irlen's Syndrome) within the medical field or is it another potential quack syndrome. (Call me a cynic if you will :p but when I haven't been told about it by professionals and find the condition with its own industry on the web, I have a right to question ;))

(b) Does anyone have experience of using the coloured lenses as a form of treatment (either as a practitioner or as a patient) and how did it go?

Interestingly one of the symptoms of the syndrome is migraines caused by bright lights and reflections and this is something I've suffered from, for over 30 years.

Thanks in advance for any contributions or observations.

Advertisement