Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had my baby (at long blooming last!)

Options
  • 01-02-2010 8:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well our little James arrived at 10.20pm last nights after 75 hours in various stages of labour!

It started with my Sweep at 10am on Thursday. By 7pm I was having regular painful contractions so we went to the hospital. Was a bit upset to be told that I wasn't in Labour but false labour as the contractions were killer for starter ones. Literally couldn't talk or walk through them. So anyway stuck it out at home to Saturday morning where the contractions were so intense I had to breathe through 2 minutes every 5-10 minutes.

Got to the hospital and was diagnosed in early labour. Well at least that was something. Then a couple of hours later I was told my waters had gone so no more inspections until my contractions were regular or 24 hours had passed. Guess which happened. At this stage I couldn't even walk between contractions. Baby's head was still only minorly engaged. :(

So on Sunday morning I got brought to the labour ward to get things augmented/induced. Got put on Syntocin and started things moving. At this stage I had decided I wanted the epi, I literally wouldn't have been able to continue without it. So in the space of an hour went from 2 to 6cm and himself started to drop, midwife palpated and realised that baby was Occiput Posterior positioning. Turns out that that's why I had been in agony from the start, that no I wasn't just bad at coping, that the women in active labour marching the halls while I couldn't take two steps without triggering a contraction didn't just have a higher pain threshold than me.

So anyway I had the epi but it wasn't 100% effective and the more I progressed the more they had to top me up, I had to take the gas and air too. At 6cm got the insatiable urge to push so they turned off the syntocin. Progressed fine and had my first couple of hours of feeling sae in days. Then stopped progressing at 9cm. Back on with the syntocin. Wanted to die when after an hour no progress. Then had to wait another hour for another exam. At last was 10cm but baby was still high. They decided to get me pushing anyway. My legs weren't working but by god I pushed. Then they tested baby and found him to be in distress so I was sent to theatre for an emergency section. Had to get a spinal as I could feel too much through the epi. The delivery was OK I suppose but the dragging sensation is horrible, then they had to pull his head back out of the birth canal where he and I had pushed it, really unpleasant.

Worst part of the whole trial of the labour was being stitched after. Took ages and all your internal organs are being moved. Threw up all over my face, consented to some form of opiate to make the sensation stop, all it did was make me not care as much. Threw up on my face again... Mike was given the baby but I didn't give a **** about the baby, wanted him away. Mike took him for his checks. Went to sleep as they were finishing though I was dying asked if I should fight the urge! I was insane! Woke up with what I can only describe as hypothermia. Whole body shaking violently. Finally started warming up and they brought the baby back for skin to skin and finally felt OK. Still very tired but beginning to love the baby now.

Thankfully he's breastfeeding really well, so something is going to plan at least!!

Anyway total opposite of Khannie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Congrats on baby James! You poor thing, you've been through the mill. Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations to you and Mike.

Sounds like a hard labour, you must have been absolutely fricken exhausted. Fair play to you lady!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

That sounds like a really tough labour, at least you have him now...hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ah kitty, congratulations... and i'm sorry but i laughed my head off at the puking bit!!! and James is a lovely name...! Enjoy your baby now that he's here safe and sound.. they are so precious we don't realise how lucky we are..;) breastfeeding is great fun too.. i think we need a breast feeding thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear you had such a hard labour you poor thing you must be exhausted :(
    What weight was James? Its a gorgeous name! That's great that he's breastfeeding so well. I hope you're feeling much better now.
    Are you in much pain after the section or is it hard to move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Oh my god, that's a labour story and a half! Well done Das Kitty and congratulations and remember you can always guilt-trip him when he's being a stroppy teenager later on - "after what I suffered with you......"!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a tough time. I've seen the OP position cause awful labours alright, very few deliver without help, you did really well!

You'll have to get some pics up of your lil man for us to go wobbly over!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Congrats on the safe arrival of little James!

I had only read the 75 hours part when I scanned your post for those words "occiput posterior position". Too familiar story as I spent four days having horrendous pains two years ago only to end in an emergency section when I didn't progress for the exact same reasons as you!!

But as you see it all melts away pretty quickly when you have gorgeous little baby in your arm!!

I am 7 weeks pg now and am adamant I won't be having another OP labour. I'm not having midwives telling me "you're not in labour lovey" again when I know I'm having pains to beat the band!!

Well done again and enjoy little James to your hearts content!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Thanks folks. He's grand now. I had a bit of a cry this afternoon about it all and starting to feel human again.

Believe it or not the stitches are a 1 on a scale of 1-10 where the 10 is OP Labour pains.

Unfortunately it looks like any baby I have will be OP as it seems genetic in the shape of the pelvis on my mum's side. On the plus side after having a section it's unlikely they'll make me labour again as it would be too long to be safe. I've laboured enough for 12 clildren. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Bloody hell your post makes me realise how easy my partner had it with our daughter!

Congrats on the new arrival! You're gonna be driven to distraction with James Taylor being played though :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congratulations Das Kitty :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jesus well done Das Kitty, that sounds like a terribly hard labour to go through, I hope you're resting up, being taken care of and enjoying your time with James.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Holy crap that was an awful labour to go through.
    I was actually squeezing my legs tight while I was reading it
    Well done to you though, you are a very strong woman to go through that.
    I hope your recovery is quick and that you and your lovely new baby have years of happiness x

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Huge congrats, you really had a tough time. I know I felt my own labour was too quick. I realise people think I am mad to say that but 3 hrs was too fast, I was is total shock. I am sure there is a happy medium between 3 and 75 hrs!
    Enjoy him, and huge congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Congratulations Das Kitty and welcome baby James. I hope you are beginning to fell somewhat human now after your ordeal. There ain't nothing 'natural' about child brith if you ask me!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I just saw this now. I've kinda been in...eh...I dunno...the middle of nowhereland for the last 6 weeks. I'm just somewhat starting to somewhat get back to earth.

Anyway....heartiest congratulations. :) Delighted for ye!

Advertisement