Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auxillary belt (?) in 05 Focus Zetec - Help!!

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a new shape 05 Focus Zetec and I need to get a belt changed in it. I think it's called an auxillary or maybe a serpentine belt? Anyway the man in the motor factors gave me these tools to buy with the belt and said it would be hell changing them without these tools. The guy doing the car for me cannot get the belt on and he's a mechanic for years. Please can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd find a mechanic who can do it, I see little point in single-handedly reinventing the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

What engine have you got...??

It's more than likely a power steering belt and alternator belt, the mechanic should be more than capable of changing it without issue. Try another garage / mechanic would be my advice. There is a tensioner for many of them, some cars the alternator is on rails and can slide once nuts are loosened, I find it alarming a "mechanic" can't change a belt on a Focus.

In saying that the belt on my sister's Ka didn't look like fun to change when I was under the car at the weekend, I'm not a mechanic though.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4508011_replace-serpentine-belt-ford-focus.html

On the up to 2005 models there is one belt for the alternator, power s & air con, one tensioner and the belt is off :) In saying that, that's one of the least helpful guides imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I saw that article alright but it's for the older model. The altenator isn't on rails and doesn't slide and there isn't a tensioner. This is the second mechanic with this problem and I'm not bringing to our local Ford garage after past experiences.

It;s a 1.4 engine. Even my Da had a look and was confused...

Wondering about the comment from the man in motor factors saying o you need these or else it'll be hell changing the belt.... there must be a knack involved to it as both mechanics that have looked are reputable and i've always used them with no complaints. Anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement

dollybird2 wrote: »
    and there isn't a tensioner.

There isn't a tensioner :confused: Weird, I reckon there is one somewhere to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It's a stretch belt. The tool catches on to the front of one of the pulleys.

You have to be careful not to damage the belt or you'll be changing it again in a couple of months.

Seen it happen from a main dealer.

There isn't a tensioner - that's whats causing the problems about how to fit the belt! It's causing such hassle but I think they have it sorted now.... hopefully.
    It is a stretch belt and it supposed to go in such a tight place near something about the power steering and a water pump and altenator or something. Sorry, I'm really not a car person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Find a decent mechanic ASAP! This is something that could potentially fcuk up your engine if its not done properly. Where are you based? Surely someone will be along to name a good mechanic somewhere....

Job successfully done and she is purring like a kitten again! Thanks all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement