Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello RDB 2.2 problems

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,
    first post here, so if I accidentally break some ettiquette rule, please forgive.

I have a Firebird heating system, with a Riello RDB 2.2. burner.
    It will never run for longer than half an hour without tripping.
    The length of time it runs for gets shorter, the longer it has been running.
    First thing in the morning, I can get half an hour out of it. Turn it off for 10 minutes, then back on and it will run for less, each time I restart it.
    Eventually, it has to be left off for at least half an hour, before it will succesfully re-ignite.
    Only moved into the house in summer last year, and it has been like this since we tried to fire it up at the start of winter. Actually, the running time has gradually got shorter over the winter, if that helps?

The sequence of operation is like this: -

Burner goes through normal start up sequence, fires OK and I can see lots of steam from the vent. After a period of time, depending upon how long it has been running, the steam from the vent takes on a blue tinge, and I can smell the kerosene in the exhaust. If left alone, the burner will fail, try to re-ignite a few times and then lock out. Generally, pressing the red reset button on the front will get it started again, but sometimes it tries to fire a few times and then locks out again. That's when we have to leave it off for a while.
    If the oil level in the tank goes below the height of the burner, it's almost impossible to start. At the moment, the oil tank is almost completely full.

I don't know much about oil burners, and do not have any info or manual for this.
    I have checked the oil filter and bled the system, but don't know where to go from here.
    This is really starting to p*** me off now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Burner is going through ignition sequence then shutting down, the reason burner shutting down could be flame failure or flame failure device, sounds like the problem is persistent, continuous reset of burner is not advised, during each ignition sequence after re set, if boiler fails to fire a build up of oil can sit inside risking the chance of fire.

Might not be a big problem, nozzle might need replacing as they wear down over time, once spray or angle of spray becomes affected a burner will struggle to light. A burner has a photosensitive eye which detects light (flame) if the eye becomes sooty it will struggle to detect light. You could also have a problem with oil pump.

No real quick fix from here, best call an oil boiler service person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Agree with items , a good burner service guy will sort it quickly

Advertisement