Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Rotovator - PTO shaft - tractor end

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Have just resurected an old Howard 70 inch blade rotovator from a long retirement. It's looking good, but I have one problem. The PTO shaft was cut rather short for whatever practor it was on in the past, and when I hook it up on mine, and drop machine to working depth, the PTO sections come apart.
    The quickest solution for me, would be to find a tractor end with longer section! Anybody, got one lying in the bushes?? Or anyone know of somebody who deals in old Howards, who might be able to help me out.

Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

what shape of shaft is it, there was a few different ones used, is it like a big spline type shaft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

what shape of shaft is it, there was a few different ones used, is it like a big spline type shaft?

Yes, it's the spline type. Clutch assy on the rotovator end. Picture attached if my upload goes to plan.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

You should be able to take that to a garage/motor factors and get a new length of profile put onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

BeeDI wrote: »
    Yes, it's the spline type. Clutch assy on the rotovator end. Picture attached if my upload goes to plan.

Thanks

Find something with a slip clutch, cheaper than replacing the gears on the rotovator

Seem to remember the shaft out of an agitator worked on our one at home

You should be able to take that to a garage/motor factors and get a new length of profile put onto it.

Thats the problem, really. The few people I have gone to have all told me that this partcular profile, is not easy if not impossible to get anymore.

Best option I was told was to try to find a drive from an old scrap machine. Was hoping someone on here might know of location of such a machine, or maybe somebody who does them up, etc, etc,.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

I remember being told that there should be no need to cut the shaft type fitted to a howard rotavator. The machine should be adjusted at the lower linkage attachment points to bring it closer or further away from the tractor. The rotavator lower link attachment points are bolted on and can be moved to make the position of the machine/pto suit the tractor.
    Unless a previous owner has already shortened the shaft.........

biblio wrote: »
    I remember being told that there should be no need to cut the shaft type fitted to a howard rotavator. The machine should be adjusted at the lower linkage attachment points to bring it closer or further away from the tractor. The rotavator lower link attachment points are bolted on and can be moved to make the position of the machine/pto suit the tractor.
    Unless a previous owner has already shortened the shaft.........

Yes, I agree with you. But my trouble is a previous owner has cut about 6 inches off the tractor end of the shaft. Bloody clown:mad:

B

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

Just wondering if you had any luck with parts?
    I'm looking for input shaft (from slip clutch to gearbox)

Anybody have any experince with getting one of these from anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭valtra2

just get one or two pto extenders for your tractor pto only 10 euro each i think and can be got in any eng shop

Advertisement