Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no word from the dead ?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

So you die and go to heaven , most people believe that though it's their soul that goes that it is in fact them just in a different format so to speak , that memories and personality etc remain the same, am I right in thinking this ? so I'm wondering why all those hundreds of millions gone to heaven don't send word back to their loved ones who are grieving, how much hurt would be eased by a simple message that I'm fine I'm in Gods kingdom now, see you soon. Now I'm not talking about a continuous long distance relationship but just word that all is well.

I think most people who go to heaven would in fact want this so that leaves two possibilities.

Firstly that you are very greatly changed as an individual on transit to Gods kingdom.
    Or God won't allow it, now it may be physically impossible for souls to message by themselves but if God so allowed it..
    if it's the later why won't God allow it.

Is there anything in the bible that would give the impression that once in heaven you can't contact those on earth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's terrible mobile reception in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

.Moosejam wrote: »
    So you die and go to heaven , most people believe that though it's their soul that goes that it is in fact them just in a different format so to speak , that memories and personality etc remain the same, am I right in thinking this ? so I'm wondering why all those hundreds of millions gone to heaven don't send word back to their loved ones who are grieving, how much hurt would be eased by a simple message that I'm fine I'm in Gods kingdom now, see you soon. Now I'm not talking about a continuous long distance relationship but just word that all is well.

I think most people who go to heaven would in fact want this so that leaves two possibilities.

Firstly that you are very greatly changed as an individual on transit to Gods kingdom.
    Or God won't allow it, now it may be physically impossible for souls to message by themselves but if God so allowed it..

Is there anything in the bible that would give the impression that once in heaven you can't contact those on earth.
    Well, the Bible says the dead know nothing. All those people who died are still waiting for the resurrection. So, they are not actually there to send word back. God's kingdom will descend to Earth, and there the New Jerusalem will be home to God's people.

Psalms 6:3-5 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
    Psalms 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish

Ecclesiastes 9:5,6 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Isaiah 38:18-19, "For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

.Moosejam wrote: »

I take you've never caught 'Crossing over' with Jonathan Edwards? :pac: If that's true then the dead are speaking all the time through mediums. I doubt it though. No, Chozo is right, when you are dead you are dead. To those who wait for the hope that is in Christ to be resurrected at the last day there is life eternal, but to those who don't believe, there is just a resurrection to judgment and the second death. If scripture is to be believed, then in between dying and the resurrection there is nothing, no purgatory or limbo, nothing, just a waiting time for judgment or eternal life. To escape the judgment you need only thrust a hand to God in faith down here and hang on till death. God is faithful and will honor His promise to people who do that and grant them eternal life at the last day, but to those who don't, there will be judgment and much weeping and gnashing of teeth because they reject the great gift that God has provided in Christ through His death, which is simply a way out which was provided from impending doom. Picture yourself in a burning house from which you cannot find a way out and a fireman at risk to himself breaks in to lead you out the right way and thus saves your life. It is the same with mankind but the analogy breaks down, we have to grab onto the fireman and ask for his help. We must first recognize our need of him then ask. We are lost and don't know the way out of our impending doom but God has provided a way out. We started the fire and He has provided deliverance. But in order to accept that deliverance you must recognize that the house is on fire and that you are helpless to deliver yourself. Only then are you ready to accept the way out provided by the fireman. If you don't or can't recognize that the house is burning then you will never ask to be delivered. I'm sorry I'm veering way off topic here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Still waiting for the Resurrection? Then why did Jesus tell the Good Thief that he woyld be In paradise with Him that very day of his death on the cross>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

branie wrote: »
    Still waiting for the Resurrection? Then why did Jesus tell the Good Thief that he woyld be In paradise with Him that very day of his death on the cross>

Because Paradise, or the Upper part of Hades, was where the righteous dead dwelt prior to Christ's Resurrection. Then, as Christ led captivity captive, they ascended to be with the Father. Christians who die also go to be with the Father - and heaven is simply wherever God is. When we are all resurrected there will be a new earth and, since God will dwell there, heaven and earth will be one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    Because Paradise, or the Upper part of Hades, was where the righteous dead dwelt prior to Christ's Resurrection. Then, as Christ led captivity captive, they ascended to be with the Father. Christians who die also go to be with the Father - and heaven is simply wherever God is. When we are all resurrected there will be a new earth and, since God will dwell there, heaven and earth will be one.

I ask this because you speak in certain terms above, so I assume you have a difinitive answer to it, but believing the above, what is meant by the scriptures below?

Psalms 6:3-5 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
    Psalms 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish

Ecclesiastes 9:5,6 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Isaiah 38:18-19, "For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Isn't there a fairly explict ban on communication/attempted communication with the dead anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PDN wrote: »

How come christians know for extreme certain what will happen when they die? we dont even know everything about this life never mind the next one, theres not a single piece of evidence to suggest anything happens when you die, the only ones who know are dead people and they sure aint telling the rest of us, instead of wondering and worrying about it,just accept the fact you'll find out when it happens.

As for waiting for the resurrection, seems a bit unfair on the people who dies before Jesus came along to just wait around in nothing until the crucifixition happened , what about the people who were dead for thousands of years?i'd be pretty annoyed that god left me in his waiting room for that long before letting me into heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

krudler wrote: »
    How come christians know for extreme certain what will happen when they die? we dont even know everything about this life never mind the next one, theres not a single piece of evidence to suggest anything happens when you die, the only ones who know are dead people and they sure aint telling the rest of us, instead of wondering and worrying about it,just accept the fact you'll find out when it happens.

It's not a case of knowing anything for extreme certain. One of the purposes of this forum is for the discussion of Christian beliefs, which is what we were doing.

Christians believe that there is evidence in that Jesus died and came back again. While you may not like the evidence, or find it compelling, it remains evidence nevertheless.
    As for waiting for the resurrection, seems a bit unfair on the people who dies before Jesus came along to just wait around in nothing until the crucifixition happened , what about the people who were dead for thousands of years?i'd be pretty annoyed that god left me in his waiting room for that long before letting me into heaven
    You wouldn't be pretty annoyed, because if you were to be resurrected to everlasting life you would be jolly grateful that you received much better than you ever deserved.

Btw, I don't believe Paradise was 'nothing'. Think of it as the coolest most enjoyable waiting room that has ever been devised.

Advertisement