Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Due nct, anypoint in doing anything

Options
  • 01-02-2010 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Due NCT on a 00 nissan almera. Have been told by a few not to bother doing anything and just fix the problems after, what do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, just let it go through and fix what it fails on.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

definitely, just put it through and fix what they tell you to, its a waste of time puttin it into a garage beforehand, they'll do loads of unneeded work and itll probably still fail on something stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do the simple things:

Check the condition of your tyres,
    Get the wheels tracked,
    Check all bulbs are working and have the headlights aligned.

These are the most common failures, other than that let the test tell you what needs fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do the simple things:

Check the condition of your tyres,
    Get the wheels tracked,
    Check all bulbs are working and have the headlights aligned.

These are the most common failures, other than that let the test tell you what needs fixing.

The 06 car I've just purchased in the last few days is due its NCT is the next month or so, and a service in 500-600 kms.

One thing I've noticed from driving around the last few days (and one of the lads also pointed out to me while I was behind them) is that one head light seems way out in comparison to the other. Can this be sorted handily enough by a non-mechanic type (i.e. me), or should I bring it to a mechanic?

I think this is the only area that the car would be troubled if I were to put her through the NCT tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Fizman wrote: »
    The 06 car I've just purchased in the last few days is due its NCT is the next month or so, and a service in 500-600 kms.

One thing I've noticed from driving around the last few days (and one of the lads also pointed out to me while I was behind them) is that one head light seems way out in comparison to the other. Can this be sorted handily enough by a non-mechanic type (i.e. me), or should I bring it to a mechanic?

I think this is the only area that the car would be troubled if I were to put her through the NCT tomorrow.

Here are some tips:
    Whether trying to adjust headlights vertically or horizontally or both, a bubble level will be your best friend. Here is a quick run down on how to get Betsy’s eyeballs straight. Be sure to park the car on a flat, level surface. If possible have the car face a blank wall, neutral colors like white or gray work best. Avoid any internal light shining on the car.

Another useful tip before you begin the headlight alignment is to make sure the tire pressure is correct. If the tires have too little pressure it will throw off the level of the lights. Once the tires have proper air pressure, the bubble level becomes invaluable. A tape measure will make the process go more smoothly as well. Place the car exactly 25 feet away from the wall you are using to check the lights.

Find the center of each headlight and mark with a piece of tape. Turn the lights on and look at the wall to determine how far off center the lights are pointing. After turning the lights back off make the appropriate adjustments and check again. Repetition is the name of the game here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

analfabets wrote: »
    Find the center of each headlight and mark with a piece of tape. Turn the lights on and look at the wall to determine how far off center the lights are pointing. After turning the lights back off make the appropriate adjustments and check again. Repetition is the name of the game here.

These must be American instructions

Because EU headlamps (on the dipped beam) have a deliberate off-centre offset towards the side of the road.
    If you go and center the beam by this method, then your lights will be miles out.

I didn't realise that. Sorry for confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got my lights pretty much spot on once by copying a new car and allowing for differing head light heights etc. It took an hour or so and I was lucky to get them right id say. They were within range for the nct but at that time lights werent a fail item anyway so it was worth a go. With lights being a fail item, its not worth trying this anymore imo. Just get them set professionally for a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Unless there is something you know you are going to fail on, i.e. mis aligned headlights etc, don't bother. Chuck it in and see what happens. Thats what I have done with all my cars. I know people who had pre nct's done, spent a fortune and still failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Fizman wrote: »

I would check and see if the bulb is fitted correctly. If the bulb isn't sitting in place properly the beam will not be right.
    And because it's a '06 Focus make sure the headlamp is sitting in place, as it needs to be removed to change a bulb and mightn't have been replaced properly.

I would always do this before messing with the alignment of any headlight!

• Advertisement

analfabets wrote: »
    Here are some tips:
    Whether trying to adjust headlights vertically or horizontally or both, a bubble level will be your best friend. Here is a quick run down on how to get Betsy’s eyeballs straight. Be sure to park the car on a flat, level surface. If possible have the car face a blank wall, neutral colors like white or gray work best. Avoid any internal light shining on the car.

Another useful tip before you begin the headlight alignment is to make sure the tire pressure is correct. If the tires have too little pressure it will throw off the level of the lights. Once the tires have proper air pressure, the bubble level becomes invaluable. A tape measure will make the process go more smoothly as well. Place the car exactly 25 feet away from the wall you are using to check the lights.

Have you ever adjusted lights on a car ?

RoverJames wrote: »

Yes. On Lada, using different method. The post i pasted in before was from another forum and I already apologized for confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    Have you ever read a full thread before posting? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

barry81 wrote: »
    I would check and see if the bulb is fitted correctly. If the bulb isn't sitting in place properly the beam will not be right.
    And because it's a '06 Focus make sure the headlamp is sitting in place, as it needs to be removed to change a bulb and mightn't have been replaced properly.

I would always do this before messing with the alignment of any headlight!

Eh? Where did I mention that? It's a '06 Golf GTI. :)

I reckon I'll take a spin out to my indy mechanic at the weekend anyway, he's keen on having a look at her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Sorry, not a clue where I got that from. Must have stuck in my head from a different thread. Really wasn't on the ball yesterday. Still though, make sure the bulb is sitting in place right first. So many people just go turning the adjusters when there's no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....having just had to remove 1/2 the airbox, MAF and assocatiate piping, just to take out the headlight bulb, just so I can get at the blown parking light bulb ! :mad: ! I can attest that, half the time, when re-fitting it, I thought the headlight bulb was seated correctly afterwards, but it wasn't.

Goddamn fugging annoying - took 20 minutes ! For a parking light bulb !! FFS :mad:

.....good job I have fog lights to use in lieu, then........[gets coat...]

Saab 9-3, btw.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement